Did my taxes :(

Ouch. Over $70K to the Gov’t for the wifey and I. I still owe $1700. It’s only going to get worse. :frowning:

That is a crotch shot

yep that’s almost 3x what i made last year.

Me too. My job sucks.

I think its crazy how we already pay in thousands a year and they expect more, its ridiculous, this state sucks, no other state is like ours. NYS FTL !

You all quit voting hippie and it wouldnt be so bad.

Eh, if you pay a lot in taxes that means you make a lot so it all balances out.

Shawn if you really want to pay little in taxes and get money back I know quite a few minimum wage jobs around :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting logic. :slight_smile:

I understand and respect taxes. I expect to pay them but I think this is getting a bit nutty. :frowning:

I really wish the government would just take the right amount out of each check so we didnt have to go thru this bullshit.

Getting a return is like free money though. Its money I couldve blown throughout the year that instead Im going to blow all at once.

^^ One reason it’s done is that its like an annual stimulus for most people. Right in the first quarter when retail needs the boost, the population gets money back and goes and blows it all at once like clockwork.

I hear ya, it’s not pretty on paper.

NYC as the tax zone isn’t helping much either.

I however get over that issue by only counting “real” money. I never count on the listed hourly wage to do my calculations, because I know that’s not the money I’ll ever see.

“Net amount” is the only thing I go by and that’s where all the logic comes through.

For easy math, if you make 10$ an hour listed with no benefits, ~ $2.50 goes into taxes from the getgo. So you’re already left with $7.50. Minus your mandatory bills and monthly expenses which will add up to about another $1.00 (small figure, but thats generous estimate).

Whatever money you do manage to save up from what you’ve got left-over to spend on toys, expect it to be worth ~10% less due to tax you will pay on purchase of the item, so there goes another $.75 at least (doing the tax on the net, not gross).

So as a rough estimate a low income job will in reality pay you nearly half of the listed pay amount. And it only goes up from there as you make more, hence Shawns point.

Strippers play the system well however (or any jobs with tips for that matter.)

LOL @ 25% withheld from the get go.

I’m out 47% total lately. That’s half. Half of what I earn. Half.

So what have we learned?

Jclark strip services offered in the near future? Extra pay for starting out dressed as the Stig. :bow

damn that sucks. I thought it sucked that I only got like 1200 back last year, but id rather get 1200 back than owe that much.

That it’s time to :gtfo of this dump.

Try working as a private contractor for awhile(1099-MISC). That REALLY blows tax wise. Did that when I was assisting Pete @ ERT. Might as well not been paid.

Did that for a year (1099-Misc). Paid the same tax rate I am now but enjoyed it a whole lot more.

1099 misc, no kidding :cry: i got like one w3 i think ? idk i threw it out, it was liek 20 bucks or something

How about I won’t kidnap you and leave you in the adirondacks if you don’t move.

obviously the best course of action