mistake costs dishwasher 59k bucks

while im in no shape or form for illegal immigration, and it pisses me off how America is handling its immigration issues, but this guy is getting hosed bad.

> > [B]MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- For 11 years, Pedro Zapeta, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, lived his version of the American dream in Stuart, Florida: washing dishes and living frugally to bring money back to his home country.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/09/27/immigrant.money/art.pedro.cnn.jpg Pedro Zapeta, an illegal immigrant, managed to save $59,000 while working as a dishwasher for 11 years.

http://www.cnn.com/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

Two years ago, Zapeta was ready to return to Guatemala, so he carried a duffel bag filled with $59,000 – all the cash he had scrimped and saved over the years – to the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
But when Zapeta tried to go through airport security, an officer spotted the money in the bag and called U.S. customs officials.
“They asked me how much money I had,” Zapeta recalled, speaking to CNN in Spanish.
He told the customs officials $59,000. At that point, U.S. customs seized his money, setting off a two-year struggle for Zapeta to get it back.
Zapeta, who speaks no English, said he didn’t know he was running afoul of U.S. law by failing to declare he was carrying more than $10,000 with him. Anyone entering or leaving the country with more than $10,000 has to fill out a one-page form declaring the money to U.S. customs.
Officials initially accused Zapeta of being a courier for the drug trade, but they dropped the allegation once he produced pay stubs from restaurants where he had worked. Zapeta earned $5.50 an hour at most of the places where he washed dishes. When he learned to do more, he got a 25-cent raise.
After customs officials seized the money, they turned Zapeta over to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The INS released him but began deportation proceedings. For two years, Zapeta has had two attorneys working pro bono: one on his immigration case, the other trying to get his money back.
“They are treating me like a criminal when all I am is a working man,” he said.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_TL.gif

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

Zapeta’s story became public last year on CNN and in The Palm Beach Post newspaper, prompting well-wishers to give him nearly $10,000 – money that now sits in a trust.
Robert Gershman,one of Zapeta’s attorneys, said federal prosecutors later offered his client a deal: He could take $10,000 of the original cash seized, plus $9,000 in donations as long as he didn’t talk publicly and left the country immediately.
Zapeta said, “No.” He wanted all his money. He’d earned it, he said.
Now, according to Gershman, the Internal Revenue Service wants access to the donated cash to cover taxes on the donations and on the money Zapeta made as a dishwasher. Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.
CNN contacted the U.S. Attorneys office in Miami, U.S. Customs and the IRS about Zapeta’s case. They all declined to comment.

Marisol Zequeira, an immigration lawyer, said illegal immigrants such as Zapeta have few options when dealing with the U.S. government.
“When you are poor, uneducated and illegal, your avenues are cut,” he said.
On Wednesday, Zapeta went to immigration court and got more bad news. The judge gave the dishwasher until the end of January to leave the country on his own. He’s unlikely to see a penny of his money.
“I am desperate,” Zapeta said. “I no longer feel good about this country.”
Zapeta said his goal in coming to the United States was to make enough money to buy land in his mountain village and build a home for his mother and sisters. He sent no money back to Guatemala over the years, he said, and planned to bring it all home at once.
At Wednesday’s hearing, Zapeta was given official status in the United States – voluntary departure – and a signed order from a judge. For the first time, he can work legally in the U.S.
By the end of January, Zapeta may be able to earn enough money to pay for a one-way ticket home so the U.S. government, which seized his $59,000, doesn’t have to do so

[/B]

he didn’t pay taxes and lived here illegally. i don’t feel bad for him :gotme:

Hmmmm. I don’t know what to say about this.

On one hand we have rules and regulations…on the other hand use some fucking common sense when judging the situation. The guy worked his ass off for what he earned. Give it back.

It’s a fucked up world we live in.

Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.

So one dude was trying to take $59k out of the country, after living here for 10 years without contributing anything? I’d say he was hosing us. Sure, one guy doesn’t make a difference. But when you multiply that by all the hundreds of thousands of illegals we’ve got a big fucking problem.

Hes an idiot for living here for 11 years and still being unable to speak a word of english.

he is getting bent over and INS is leaving the KY at home.

But… He wants to live in the US pay taxes like everyone else.

I mean, I feel bad for him. Don’t get me wrong. It sucks that he worked so hard and lost it all, but it’s his own fault. You can’t just come here and live here and not contribute a dime.

agreed… i just think the way theyre handling it is kinda fucked up “here take 10k back and dont say anything about it” wtf is that supposed to be for ?

they wouldnt make a deal like that if they werent doing something shady IMO

EDIT: i feel bad for the guy, but then as it was said before, this is just ONE instance think about how much money other people are making like this and not paying taxes. on the other hand, he was only doing it himself and not bringing 500 family members here to have the US govt support them as well…

i think in THIS instance it sucks and hes getting shafted, but in the all around picture were getting the short end of the stick

So because he was living here illegally and didn’t know the laws…he should be exempt from them? Sounds fair… :rofl:

Regardless, that 59k is going to buy a lot of sweet weapons for the war on terror!

honestly… as big a blow hard as I am about illegals getting thrown out and getting in the right way, I honestly feel that uncle sam should take their share of $$$ for back taxes, give him the rest and let him go home.

he worked hard for it, for shitty pay… other than being an illegal/not paying taxes, he really did nothing wrong that he knew of.

no harm, no foul IMO

Jesus… what is this world coming to, this board is making me soft. Still not voting for Hillary though :stuck_out_tongue:

Tax the money, give him the rest back, send him home

ha, beaten

I say they take all the back taxes he owes from that 59k, and then send him home with what’s left. He doesn’t get boned, we don’t get boned, and life goes on.

:beer:

no, i think they should get whats theirs back from the guy. i just dont think that out of 59k bucks that they can tax him 49k and say leave… thats not right…

hell by the looks of it, if he lived in NY, they woulda taken all his money, but given him a license to drive to the border :gotme:

He didn’t have the right to make that money in the first place.

:lol: :rofl:

so true

true, but during the whole situation, they made him a citizen so he could work here now… believe me, im not supporting illegal immigration at all, live in denver, or in a worse case, where im going, texas, and youll see how bad it is. but its not like the guy was making 20 bucks an hour and living the life, he was pulling in less than minimum wage (which i know, it still doesnt make it right)

i dunno im torn both ways, i see what youre saying, but also feel for THIS guy working his ass off for 11 years. i dunno if youve ever washed dishes or not, but that job blows

EDIT: on a side note, this is why i love this forum, have an actual debate without people getting pissy, and have intelligent responses, and then click on the off topic page to see a thread that says “Do you think blow jobs are that great” :rofl:

take his money and his pride then ship him back on the banana boat he came in on, if you cant follow the rules of this country then :gtfo:

I had to think about where I stood on this one when I read it last night. In the end, it came down to the simple fact that he was here illegally, contributing nothing to the system because he wasn’t paying any taxes, and got caught breaking the law.

So fuck him, you try to smuggle money out of the country and get caught you lose it. Ignorance of a law does not grant immunity from it, regardless of your nationality. We’ve all seen the signs at the airport and customs about carrying more than 10k and if he didn’t learn enough english in all this time here he certainly shouldn’t get a pass on the law. It’s a very simple law; you try to smuggle more than 10k out and get caught you lose it all.

Had he not been in the country in the first place, nor any illegal alien, that job would have gone to some high school kid. He would have paid taxes on it, and then spent it here in this country supporting our economy.

So even though at first read I started to feel sorry for the guy the more I think about the whole situation the more I don’t have any problem with how the government is handling it.