What car would you "build" for $40K

I was thinking about this the other day, and came up with all kinds of ideas, but not one was good enough to say it was the best.

With a budget of $40K to buy and build or modify, what would you build? This would be a fun car, street legal, etc.

Some of my ideas were to build another 3rd gen RX-7, but with a 2JZ under the hood instead.

Also thought about a Factory Five '33

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/09/FactoryFive33B_700.jpg

Other ideas were to build an E30 BMW, build a crazy STi or Evo, all kinds of stuff. Perhaps pick a new platform like a BRZ and see how far the rest of the money can take you.

I don’t know what I would build, but I have a feeling there are a lot of other cool ideas out there.

X…

I would build an 80’s t/a or iroc and grow a mullet.

My R32.

Picked it up for 10k(and traded my passat), if I had another 30k to modify it with, it would be a really fun street/track shredder.

I know it sounds stupid but I’d build my Fox Mustang. I’ve always been a fan of old cars with newer factory parts/tech, so a Coyote/6speed drivetrain would be match up with the current IRS. Would stretch the wheelbase 5" by moving the front wheel forward to help get a 50/50 weight distribution. Gut the horrendous interior and go ground up in there. End goal would be a tight daily driver void of the squeeks/rattles/bullshit that plagues 70’s chassis cars. I just want to enjoy driving this car again.

The other one would be the '55 Chevy. The first ‘build’ was too budget oriented (hence the LT1), and in the end the car doesn’t drive out as great as what an LS drivetrain sitting on a Roadster Shop Chassis would offer. This leaves about $5-10K to spend on some interior upgrades, and a proper set of wheels tucked nicely in the wheelwells.

No doubt a factory five Cobra replica (maybe with twin screwed LSX)

A Pinarello Dogma with electric 11 speed Campagnalo and a brand new Honda Pilot. I just came.

Probably some sort of grudge racing car?

Notch fox body with a 4XX LSx and a turbo with quiet exhaust etc

If it was just something to fuck around with on the street and not the track 69 Chevelle and a twin turbo LS1 setup.

It really depends on your goals, for just 1/4 mile you can must likely build a7/8 second muscle car.

For me it would be an Evo 9 with the fattest powerband under 500whp

C5 vette

Honda built me a beautiful Ridgeline for a lil over $30k already.

Id do maintenance on a stock dsm

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

BT Supra

LOL I love it

1. Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4G63 swapped. All supporting mods and custom turbo setup.

2. Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo: 4G63 swapped. All supporting mods and custom turbo setup.

3. Rat Rod with, you guessed it, 4G63 RWD setup.

4. Either a TDI or Prius and experiment with hypermiling mods.

5. NSX

6. EVO 8 or 9 the way EvoMRs was setup.

7. Sy/Ty

In reality I’d buy a decent daily and spend the rest on a motorcycle for every occasion :slight_smile:

rat rod with a bmw v8 or v10 in it, old 964 or exactly what i am doing e46 m

a LS swapped 240Z would be sweet

http://img.motorpasion.com/2006/12/1971_datsun_240z-01.jpg

factory five cobra is more my speed than the zz top

Third gen with a ls swap is probably what I would entertain if I had your garage

$5k to my em1 (simple k swap)

Then a bmw 2002 with a f20c

Then a cb7 accord wagon with a JDM f20b

Another mk2 vr6

That is a lot less than 40k lol

probably another civic, I would jump on this whole 8 second 67mm turbo thing thats going on right now.

or maybe something like this
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7650144070_d5b29cf8a7_z.jpg

Nova II
Turbo LSX
All updated pro touring style steering/brakes
AC/Heat/Radio etc

Cruise in comfort and still have enough go power to cause trouble