Questions for those of you building/that have built cars...

For those of you who have taken on build projects (automotive only), a few questions:

What was the project?

How old were/are you?

How much time did it take?

How much money did you spend?

Where did you store/build it?

Of course, before and after pictures would be great as well.

I’ve built 3 muscle cars with my grandpa before I was 16, a 62 bel-air w/ a 402, a 69 olds 442 w/ a 400 and a 65 chevelle ss w/ a 327. Each car took just under a year to take it down to frame and rebuild it with NOS parts. He stored them in his garage and he paid for everything, the first 2 cars cost just shy of 10k, the 65 was a touch over 18k. When I turned 16 him and my dad bought me a 69 olds 442 that was mine to rebuild with as much or as little help as I wanted. I spent over 2k just doing the interior, 2k for paint and body stuff (wing, hood scoops, wheels etc). A little less than 1k for the motor rebuild and it took me over a year because I did almost all of it by myself, except the motor. I never completed it so I started parting it out and ended up selling it because I moved to Buffalo. It’s cool if you’ve got a monster garage and the majority of funds saved up, but if your storage area sucks and you are going to buy parts from each paycheck you’ll hate yourself.

I thought the rule was never add everything up

you will get more pissed when you add everything up

I keep a budget on everything I build. I make sure I can justify all my costs. My father is the exact opposite.

I’ve had too many projects, built too many cars.

X2

97 neon turbo

like 7 grand, made like 5ish back

in my garage

thing wouldnt run right

and after starting at 18 ending at 21, i hated the thing so much i just parted it out

god i hate that fucking car i dont wanna even look at pictures

plus side: learned lots of stuff about cars i never would have, building motors, painting, etc

I don’t feel like typing out a long reply. But if you catch me in person I have 3 stories: Turbo maxima, RB26 swap in a 240sx, bmw

What was the project?

turbo/engine/everything

How old were/are you?

18/20/22

winter

more than i care to recall

my shop

I’m going to post all of my projects, but I am going to look even more lazy than I feel.

Finished And Sold:
2001 Audi S4
19yr old
Winter
Unsure how much $$
In my garage.

Other projects I have going but are unfinished even though I have all the parts: :picard:…

2006 Tahoe, LS1, Intake, Cam, Heads, Headers, exhaust, 4:11’s LSD, Tune. Engine is still on the stand.
1990 Pontiac ACS McLaren TGP, Tune, GT2871R, exhaust.
1984 Toyota Supra, LS1, T56, Cam, Tune, Exhaust, 4:30’s LSD. Motor and trans are in the car but no pluming is done yet.

And another project not done, but not all the parts yet…
1988 Camaro, 468 Big Block, Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust. Parts needed… Trans, rear end, cage, time.

I tend to take on another project before finishing another. I plan to finish most of them this summer. All are at my house just staring me down, yelling finish me!! I hope to finish at least all the projects I have all the parts for this year.

What was the project?
2002 nissan sentra se-r spec v. turbo

How old were/are you?
18-20 when i owned the car

about a week

mods on the car total: ~$ 8000
turbo stuff:$5069.41

my house

What was the project?
2002 Ford mustang roush stage 3 power adders/suspension

How old were/are you?
20-22 still a work in progress

ongoing since 2009

mods on the car total: $10045.68

my house/ heated storage over winter

i keep records of everything i buy

this thread sucks, and so do some peoples ideas of “building” cars.

ive never built a car… and i havent really put a ton of money into anything ive owned… same with bikes… and i sell those pretty much every year… minus the zx-10r…

What was the project?
99honda civic/95 240 sx
How old were/are you?
started when i was 16. still making love to the civic.working on the s14 for about 3-4 months.
how much time did it take?
the cars will never be done…
a second mortage
dont worry about it

damn way to keep track of everything, i wish i did

on a side note, i remember stopping by your house while you were painting that valve cover, you had the tiniest run and you flipped out =p

What was the project?

'95 s10. originally was a daily driver, one thing led to another. now a never ending project that is a summer “nice weather” toy. its now beyond custom.

How old were/are you?

bought the truck when i was 17, now 21

never ending project.

around 20k by now.

built in my shitty garage. now storing it in my grandpas hanger for the winter as its warmer and drier in there.

the day i brought it home, pretty much all stock.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/reconrider25/69ed4cb1.jpg

last summer. i have a cowl hood for it, just not on in these pictures:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs268.ash1/19560_104991009519983_100000272521229_133714_5437259_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs258.snc1/10532_100347396651011_100000272521229_7453_3055040_n.jpg

What was the project?
1994 taurus SHO
Add turbo :tup:
make it faster in the 1/4 mile than any other taurus (and I did)
suspension/brake mods: alum subframe bushings, intrax springs, tokico struts (garbage), just about every brake combo available for the taurus at one time or another.

purchased with 164K, turbo added at 199K it now sits with over 240K

How old were/are you?
17-current

on going

a tick over 5K for the turbo stuff and nearly 13K in broken transmissions. Yes there is about 25K in that car between repairs and mods.

my house summers, storage winters.

95 camaro
gutted
cage added
swap in taurus SHO engine… updates to come

so far the pricing 900 for car, $1700 for cage, $2330 for go fast goodies. still need about $1K for fuel system $1K for gauges and piping, another $1K for a torque converter, and whatever it cost to build a RWD GM trans. $8Kish i should have a fun powerful rwd that will piss off everyone

edit: the budget is 10 and that will be used to build the engine.

I have done more projects than i want to write about but here are 2 of the most major ones.Both cost under 10k and thats with me doing everything and done in 1 winter in my 2 car garage.First one is a 1973 challenger,was 340 4 speed,built a 440 and kept the 4 speed.Second is 1969 dodge coronet,built a 499 big block and the 727.

so far these are the only ones that hold their value^^

Heres some pics of the coronet,Neither car was built to be a show car,built to beat the snot out of them,and i did.

i like the second one a lot

i don’t think price should matter if you’re building something you’ve always wanted to do