What do you need to look for when guying a dsm?

never proven, likely a contributor but that theory would explain premature rod bearing failure not thrust bearing.

you better start looking for some trannys too, and a spare head

seriously just go and test drive a few, look for clutch problems, anything else isnt’ worth stressing over, it’s not like if a honda snaps or throws a belt it doesn’t destroy the head :rolleyes:

105k too many miles for one?

bought mine with 114k on it, it has 200k on it now, the bearing failure i had could have been prevented but i was stupid and didn’t check the oil

Mine has 143k i believe, friends has 174k, and another has 90k. all are 1g’s, though.

Another friend has 170k on a 2G, and I had 69k I think on my 2G when I sold it.

So, what does that tell you? Honestly, probably nothing at all.

The 1g’s seem to have aged better than the 2g’s.

The trannies do not seem to be an issue in any turbo mitsubishi. Sure they can break but you’ll know exactly why it broke. Its not like your driving down the road and it fails. Typically its a modified car with an upgraded clutch that will have tranny issues. For example I ran 11.80’s at 126 multiple times on my origional 160K tranny. I replaced it so that I can trust driving my car 80-100 miles one way (sometimes 300 mile round trips if I visit friends on a racing weekend).

ok need to decide which one to call on… not too much price difference this ones 7500

1998 Misubishi Eclipse GSX, 113,500 miles, automatic, turbo, all wheel drive, gray leather interior in great condition, runs and looks great, absolutly everything works, factory premium sound package, completely stock other than HKS turbo timer and some minor powder coating work in engine bay, many new parts including all new brakes

this ones 6325

1995 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE, 105K mi, ac, cc, tilt, lthr, p/seats, p/windows, am/fm, sunroof, GSX-Turbo-AWD

which is more stock?

i think they are both fairly stock

then pick whichever you like better. but from experience if it’s going to be a dailiy…avoid the leather, shits COLD in the winter i hated jackies

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

i know what magnus wrote and i know how they disected everything and showed how they can be stuck open blah blah. but when it comes down to it, losing oil pressure at idle like that at the crank is going to show more wear on the the actual rod bearings than the thrust bearing just because of the inharent nature of the way the 2 bearings support load.

true, but they have done more research then anyone so I accept that as a the best theory. (like the big bang)

problem is that everything they mention in that article is all speculation, there is no way to test if those things actually sticking open would cause a loss in oil pressure at the crank. for all we know it doesn’t. what they did was say “hey look, 1g motors dont walk as often they dont’ have these, this is prob what it is” which isn’t a theory it’s an educated guess

IDK wut all these people are saying about y buy a DSM, there are people on Long Island and New York City (where i am from) that are running stock motors w/ turbo and built autop trannys running consostant 11’s so with a stock motor and just turbo/mani upgrade wuts wrong with wanting to go fast?? but anyway…trannys are huge, make sure the syncros are good, feel all the gears out at different rpms. watch for the tranny mounts also, i have heard horror stories, Other then that any leaks as usual, and if the cams or head has been worked on, get the timing checked out to, cause al ot of times kid don’t know wut they are doing in their “backyard” garage and yeah! Best of luck DSM’s, and Evo’s :smiley:

Good places of reference:

dsmtuners.com
etc.

Good Luck!

knewb

I would say to check for rust, and do a compression check.

If you would have posted this a month ago, my buddy just sold his 95 GSX, jdm motor, and big16 from Buschur, Spearco f/m for $3000. The car was near perfect.