What do you need to look for when guying a dsm?

Check to see if it is a DSM first of all,if it is…stay away

yes thats what every dsm owner does… gets the biggest turbo they can get on a stock motor and say there going to run 11s… well they might get one or two passes in … so in NY do you guys have AAA? Its worth purchase with A DSM…

dude, seriously… a DSM as a daily driver? Buy a subaru if you want AWD.

how much are you getting it for? Have you ever looked into a alltrac?

looking right around 7 - 9k

I’m not going to say Alltracs are bad cars, but DSMs have incredible aftermarket support. Sure, stuff breaks on them, but only because there are so many out there, and so many people beat the piss out of them without proper maintenance.

I had a 90 AWD, and I would definitely buy another, but just as with most things in life, I’d be a little more discerning.

Yes but alltrac are reliable… good enough for a daily driver. Ct26 turbo last for a long time and a 3sgte motor if not abused can see over 200k. Its a great design and its a nice looking car.

So through all of the horror stories i here about dsm’s and such. What if its truly going to be a dd and no mods added. I mean truly a dd to get u back to work and such,are they that bad??? I mean are they that unreliable that they fail under normal use. Cause i actually thought about buying a 99 Gsx cause i like the way they look and overall just like the cars but from here say it seems like a bad decision to get one. Just curious.:cool: :cool: I love cars and all but i dont want something thats going to need constant maintenance and such. Just your basic maintenance and tuneups. I dont plan on breaking the speed of sound with it or running 10sec at the track. Just a nice car thats decently quick. Any thoughts???

apparenltyh not if mine was a dd up to 140k miles before it needed anything

Sounds good to me.

The mitsu 14b lasts a long time, many a 4g63 has passed the 200k mark, and DSMs are good looking cars too. Again, I’m not bashing the Toyota, but I don’t think it is greatly superior to a DSM, perhaps not at all.

The reliability is more about abuse/maintenance than the cars themselves.

I think you’ll be fine, so long as you do proper maintenance, and you resist the urge to crank up the boost long enough to have proper supporting mods. Get a boost gauge and a datalogger before doing any mods. Learn to use the datalogger, and you shouldn’t ever grenade a motor.

oh yah power wise I if I wasnt pro 3sgte I out of all the 2.0l turbo motors it seems like 4g has everythign beat hands down… .but as for reliability out of all the awd turbo cars alltrac in my eyes is the absolute best.

I meen lets face it
Subu blows transmissions
DSM’s Break
EVO’s are overpriced and too nice to be driven in the winter time.
Alltracs are slow but a good daily driven vehicle.

Theres not really a ton of problems with a bone stock 3sgte engine I meen honestly after so much mileage they leak oil from the valve seals but what doesnt.

DSM Motors are great… I have never owned a dsm but from there reupation it seems there are being repaired more than being driven.

dsms only break when modified, if he’s keeping it stock as a DD your theory is irrelevant

DSM’s break when improperly modified yes. My quote for owning a dsm is “I’ve never broken anything by doing something smart”. With that said, I haven’t broken in 2 years of racing this bitch and when I did 3 years ago it was breaking an axle.

Amen