what do you use to defragment?

Can’t anymore SSD

The only box I have that still runs Windows has never been defragged in the 3+ years it has been running 24/7/365, nearly uninterrupted.
My uptime COULD have been perfect if it wasn’t for the damn october storm last year… My UPS wont run that computer for the two days we lost power at that time. It will now, however. :wink:

Regardless, Id rather have a fragmented disc than put the added strain on the drive. I never defrag, and disable it where applicable. MAYBIE if it was a low capacity fast drive, but for the 1TB and up drives, it can take a DAY to defrag.

For the most part, i let windows vista/7 do its thing. But - i also install/use defraggler on my and customer computers.

defraggler

O&O was infinity times faster than anything else I tried. Churned through 2TB of data pretty quickly.

I use defraggler on personal machines, because they have a portable version. The ones sales rep from Diskkeeper keeps calling me trying to get me to buy their defragger for servers. So if anyone wants to try it and get back to me on it I’ll let him know. Been dodging him for months.

i run SSD’s and don’t have to defrag anymore, but i used to use diskeeper on HDD’s

I may try this if the company wants to pay me hourly to sit there and watch the thing in case it crashes…

It makes me sick just thinking about watching a defrag…pfft just check the logs.

I don’t know if your RAID will make it run any faster or slower, but I think it was done in 4-6 hours… where Windows Defragmenter ran for 18 hours and wasn’t showing any progress.

Benefits of being the only one of a few people in a company who is capable to run a defrag and since the whole company is under the impression that a defragment will crash a hard drive there for I will take the over time and watch it.

Ya I ran the Windows on on a 500GB mirrored drive and sat at 3% for 12 hours. Thanks for the info. Any idea if the free version will allow me to simply defrag or will it just analyze and make me buy it?

I know diskkeeper sent me a download for what I assume is a demo, and the guy wanted me to analyze before defragging and then again after to see the difference. I never did it, because I believer our servers are defragged through GPO. DK is pretty well known so you may want to pay their site a visit.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Anything to speed this process of a drive with 600,000 files on it.