What kind of desktop PCs are decent these days?

I’m tossing the idea around of buying new computers, one being a Macbook for DJing and another being a desktop PC for home/studio use. My desktop now is a pile compared to anything else out there…it’s like 5-6 years old, 1.6ghz Athlon…512mb…just dated as hell. All I do is browse the internet, listen/rip/record tons of music, and produce in Ableton and Reason. Should I get a 400 dollar PC and just drop my sound card in? Both PC and Mac is fine for me, I have no preference and all the software I use works on either OSes

Can you get a decent PC for cheap these days?

you can snag a PC from dell for 300~ thats pretty nice… IM me if you want some specs on them

Well your not going to get a Mac for anywhere near $400

slickdeals.net.

goto newegg.com and build a good one on your own, it can end up being like 500 dollars and a fun project, if your interested in doing that then say so

what about those HPs?

I’m not expecting to get a Mac for 400 I know, so that’s why I’m banking on a PC desktop.

I don’t feel like building one when you can buy one for the same price and not deal with the shit. It’s fun and all but I don’t have nearly any time to fuck around like that.

seriously just watch… there is a new computer up almost daily… 95% are dell deals

Alright. I will.

HP is kick ass. I love my HP and will continue to buy from them. DO NOT buy Dell. Overpriced usually.

Dell overpriced?

some of those deals on slickdeals are EPIC

i need to get one of those 500 dollar dual core jumpoffs with a 24" widescreen…so cheap

lol if you watch Dells site you can get great deals…I got a 3800 X2 64 with a gig of ram, 20inch flatscreen, speakers and a ton of other shit for 530ish?

I think that’s the one I was looking at, or similar. So cheap.

Well that does sound like a pretty damn good deal. I still like HP though.

I hate HP. Fucked me over my freshman year with 4 bad monitors in a row and I had to fight with supervisors every time to get it warrantied. We have HP laptops at Praxair and they’re notorious for spontaneous hard drive failures. We all back up our data constantly because it’s pretty much a given that at some point of the 3 year (I think, maybe it’s 5 year) time between upgrades you will have a total failure.

+1 for a cheap Dell. If you’re getting by with a 1.6 Athlon based system you’ll be able to swing a good step up for $400.

what kind of harddrives?

Why buy a new computer if the one you have is running fine? Why not just upgrade RAM/Video card… Maybe CPU…

:picard:

R.I.P. my 6 year old computer

today I was on it, the screen went blank and it made a nice pop sound. Now she doesn’t beep, show anything, or do anything really.

slickdeals.net here I come

Toshiba