What modern autos will someday be classics?

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno, the GNX is up over 100k right now for a low mileage stocker.

Well, that is a rare exception. Very limited quantity high performance from the factory. Awesome car in my book.

definitely the supra/rx7/300zx/3000gt cars

I have been looking at e30 M3s lately and can’t believe the prices!
It is hard to believe that any 80s-90s cars will be worth anything because the cars before and after are so much better.
It’s not like the e30 M3 was really that great, beautiful, etc.
I don’t know I guess I just can’t see spending so much money on a car that is weak by todays standards.

I think a lot of the new “HP wars” cars will be classics some day simply because gas prices and EPA mandates are going to end the HP war pretty soon.

Big HP MBs, BMWs, Vettes, Mustangs, GTO. The 400-500 HP club is going to shrink pretty fast in the next 30-40 years.

The Viper almost definitely now that Cerberus has decided to kill it.

03-04 Cobra
Saleen stangs esp S281 Sc and S281E’s
unmolested 93 fox body cobras
Ls1 F bods that havent been butchered
C5 Z06’s

dare i say… gasp… 04+ SRT4 neon

I just read in Car and Driver about a guy who bought a $90K 1990 ZR-1 Corvette brand new, took it home, and essentially never drove it. Stored it in a climate-controlled garage, kept all the factory materials, and used it as his investment.

He just sold it to a C&D editor for @ $29K. :lol:

Moral, cars that haven’t already depreciated and then gained value make uncertain investments.

That said, there are some cars here that have been mentioned (Terminator Cobras, BMW M3s, Vipers, etc) that will end up being pretty hot 25 years from now. Rarity alone does not a classic car make :fyi:

Gude thread :tup:

Yeah, if this thread is just to speculate for the fun of an automotive discussion cool. If any of you are seriously thinking about trying to buy a car as an investment you’re crazy. For every car that becomes a classic and appreciates in value there are 100’s that simply fade into history.

But do it anyway. Most of the cars we’re talking about are ones I wouldn’t mind owning when I tire of the GTO. I need terrible investors to buy them today and never drive them in the rain/snow so 5-10 years from now I can buy them from you in near perfect condition for their greatly depreciated value. :stuck_out_tongue:

In 30 years how much is it going to cost to fill up the tank on your classic car?

By then nobody will want oil because everything runs on electrohydraulic E85 fuelcell turbobiodiesels, so gas will cost $1.10 a gallon. :smiley:

:tinfoilhat:

Isn’t the world going to end in 2012?

My point being, there is no way to speculate on this. There is a niche for everything. Look at Corvairs.

Yeah, I guess “classic” can mean many things.
Any(most) BMW is worth preserving but does that make it a classic?
I guess was thinking “collector” when I first read this.
I don’t think there are any Porsche 550 spiders or Mercedes Gullwing produced in recent years.

i say my good ol saturn s-series. just because its tupperware and awesome like that.

im going with the 1g dsm.

when dsm’s started coming around they were quality performance from the factory then faded out because mitsubishi didint want people to buy eclipses over the upcoming evo. thats why the 3g and 4g eclipses are total piles when it comes to performance.

plus in 20-30 years almost every dsm will be broken, and the only ones that will remain will be in a garage and all owned by gary burch.

He will be modding the remaining ones and his now infant child who will then be our age now, will be pwning the streets in a totally solid 9 second 1g talon or eclipse.

:hitit:

I would say 1st gen USDM Evos and STis…Def MK4 Supra, FD RX-7s, 300zxtt, Prolly new Shelby, vipers, 1st Gen z06 what are they C5s

No exotics?
Is Porsche exotic?

Based on your stipulations I would just choose the highest performance cars that aren’t considered exotics.
Soooo, what are the top performers since 1990 that aren’t exotic?:gotme:

Depends on the direction the industry heads. If we go the way of europe, with all new cars becoming roller skate diesels, the niche market for old V8 performance cars that are grandfathered in will get huge.

03-04 Cobra
Maybe GT500’s?
Vipers

A clean stock un-modded low mileage 2-door Civic, hatch, or Integra.