What new car should I look at?

I apologize in advance for my verbal diarrhea. I am somewhat in the market for a new car. I dont NEED to buy a new car (does anyone?) but I would like to get out of my POS beater and into something nicer if the $$ makes sense.

I am not opposed to used cars, but I am having trouble finding anything reasonable. Right now the used car market is absolutely ridiculous with the prices-- 3 year old cars are going for 4k less than what they cost new. By the time you factor in the different interest rates you get new vs. used, why bother buying used?

I would like to keep my budget below 20k, not really willing to go much if any higher unless it was for the right vehicle. I am not looking for a performance vehicle. I want something that is reliable, and decent to drive. I dont care about turbos, wheels, wings, fancy interiors, yada yada-- this is a point a to point b DD. I would HIGHLY prefer wagons, or small SUV’s. Please dont suggest for me to buy a 1999 BMW 740i or something retarded like that. I also care greatly about resale value. If in a year or 2 I decide I need to/want to get out of the car, I dont want to be upside down 7k dollars.

The 2 vehicles that I am looking into right now are base model impreza hatch and base model forester, both in 5 speed. I am a subaru guy at heart (have owned like 8 of them in the past 4 years) and really like the AWD with our winters-- tons of fun. Both of these vehicles can be had sub 20k new. Im not a huge fan of the imprezas looks, but it can be had new for like 18,200 which is about 2k less than the base forester. The other thing that makes the forester SLIGHTLY more attractive to me is the interest rate is 0.9% vs the 1.9% on the impreza-- narrows the price gap a little bit. Compare those prices to the price of say, a shitbox fiesta, and it seems very attractive. I think I can get a relatively decent deal on either since the 2013’s are on the lot now.

What other cars should I consider? I dont know what kind of rebates any of the manufacturers are running, and dont feel like going into each dealership and speaking with sales people.

Second, is it smart for me to do this? I am sick of driving beaters, but I can fix my vehicles myself, so its not like I have to worry about paying out the ass for car repairs. Used seems like the way to go-- minus the ridiculous prices everyone is asking.

VW of Orchard Park is running 0% APR for 66 months on all new cars right now…I know it doesn’t really match your criteria, but it’s still a pretty sweet offer

I wish they made a jetta hatch. I really would love to stay with something that I can at least TRY to shove a 4x8 sheet of plywood into–even if it takes bungee cords. Ill keep it in mind-- the base jetta is listed at 16k.

They have the Jetta sportwagon starting at 20,195. But that is the base. If you can get a base forester for that and are a subaru guy at heart, you would be better off with the forester. If I had your criteria, I would go with a bland subaru over a bland vw without a doubt (and I drive a vw).

I’m starting to lean more towards a 2012 impreza hatch. At the end of the day, I want to spend as little as possible. I should be able to get out the door with a new impreza hatch for 18k (before TTL). What to do, what to do.

google silverline auto. Lots of salvage title vehicles which I suppose may give you a headache come resale time, but right up your alley pricewise. Keep in mind you’ll spend around 1000 extra for freight and for a NYS inspeciton over on Dinjins St. But all in all still worth it. Their vehicles are top notch. I personally know 2 ppl who got vehicles from them (both STIs) and they were both excellent. Granted one of them was a theft recovery, which was a fantastic buy having never had structural damage.

That is sweet but, I bet you can’t negotiate the price at all. (?) They get you coming or going. :wink:

SX4 is 18K out the door after TTL, with 0% financing.

You say you care greatly about resale, so I’d try to find a Honda or Toyota in your price range…

No one on the grammar police has commented on him ending a sentence with “at” yet? I’m disappointed NYSpeed…

I would test drive the 2012 Impreza. Very bland vehicle.

If you’re interested in wagons, what about a used quattro A4 or S4 Avant?

New, reliable, small, good resale, wagonish, under 20k…

Honda Fit Sport

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=14221&endYear=2013&modelCode1=FIT&showcaseOwnerId=71941&startYear=2010&makeCode1=HONDA&listingType=new&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=328450974&listingId=328450974&Log=0

But me, I’d drop the requirement for new since you said you can do your own repairs and move up to something like this for the same price:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=14221&endYear=2013&modelCode1=RAV4&showcaseOwnerId=53954424&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TOYOTA&engineCode=6+Cylinder&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=323405066&listingId=322178100&Log=0

^ Then I’d expand my search out to 300 miles and more than likely save a bunch of money taking a day trip to get it.

Oh lord, this place is like talking to a god damn brick wall. I’m pretty sure I’ll just stick with the subaru- doesn’t seem to be any other vehicles that match my wants.

They seem to have an impressive inventory, but it looks like they specialize in the turbo variants which im not interested in unfortunately…been there, blown up that. Thanks for the suggestion-- ill keep an eye out. My concern is getting a 20k loan for a salvage vehicle.

I will have to research to see if this falls into my “decent resale” category. Ive never heard of this car.

Subaru has one of the highest resale values in the industry alongside toyota, honda, etc. By the time i get into an AWD rav-4, CR-V, or whatever, I’m up 5 thousand over what the subaru costs.

“At what vehicle should I look”. There, I started it with at instead.

Any suggestions for a sub 20k vehicle that isnt “bland”? Please dont say mazda 3. I’m driving a 2000 beat to fuckall impreza RS right now-- anything will be an upgrade.

Oh lord. Have you priced out one of these vehicles lately? Apparently not. Schmitt’s has a 2010 a4. 30 thousand dollars and it has 43k miles on it. I like the car but…common.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Im not sure I could do a fit. One of the reasons I want a wagon is for storage room, and I feel like a fit would have no more storage room than a large sedan.

What makes you say the rav-4 is an upgrade from a forester? One thing I dont like about it is the gas mileage being 21 avg. Ill do some reading to see how they compare. Thanks.

how about this?

http://tinyurl.com/9vsomvo

Get me an e30 or e36 M wagon and we have a deal.

A quick search using autotrader compare used:

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon 4dr H4 MT i
MSRP $17,995
NADAguides Pricing Info $12,450
Loss of $5,545

2007 Suzuki SX4 5dr HB Man
MSRP $14,999
NADAguides Pricing Info $9,775
Loss of $5,224

I get 30 highway (28 when 80mph), 27 mixed with a light foot, 22-24 winter with AWD & snow playtime, heavy foot.
I’ve said it before, there is nothing great about this car, but if you want cheapest AWD, and good mpgs it is an option.

I was there a month ago and the 10’s a4’s were 21-23K and a VW of OP a 09 passat 2.0T was 16500 which I thought was a really fair price for a CPO car

I know a justin has a 06 a4, 06 a6 and a 05 touareg but none of those sound like what you are looking for. If you want a scooby get one. I also don’t think any of the cars you are looking at will handle 4’X8’ anything unless you put it on the roof. If you want a boring car maybe give the taurus X a look. they can be had cheap and are really boring cars, but they are quiet and comfy + a waggon/SUV something that got stuck halfway in between.