What to look for in a used quad?

I am going to go look at a 2000 Honda 400ex this weekend, I have a general idea of things to look for because we have a couple older 4 wheelers I rode and worked on growing up but I don’t have any real experience with anything newer.

Any suggestions on things to look for? Is there any particular areas that the frames will crack or bend that I should look for?

what kind of quad are you looking at?

oops cant beleive i missed that. lol i dont know anything about those, gl though.

look at all visable frame welds just to be safe
grab on to the grab bar and shake it back and forth to see if the axle and swingarm bearings are good if they are bad u will be able to tell
grab front wheels and shake back and forth to check wheel bearings
look to see if the chain and sprockets are worn at all or missing teeth
look underneath it to see if there is any cracks in the case or oil leaks
and just overall look at everything

good luck

Always look at the clutch and flywheel covers as well as the frame above the foot pegs for ware. In general, the more paint that is worn off the frame/covers, the harder it has been riden. Frames don’t usually crack unless raced or you’re buying it from a big dude. But check everything over, I’ve seen them crack all over. Frames get bent in the front from hitting stuff. Stock steering stems bend pretty easy too and can be hard to detect sometimes. You can always pull the oil filter and check it out too.

400ex’s are pretty bulletproof , easy to work on, and there’s tons of aftermarket support. Great starter sport quad. If it’s stock, you really can’t go wrong for the price.

Good info guys, thanks a lot.

x2

I would look for another 4 wheeler if I were you, 400ex suck, they are dogs. Get a suzuki ltz or something better.

they dont suck they have decent power are pretty light and have a good stock suspension
a z400 is better but 400ex is cheap and a good all around quad

my 02’ Honda 400EX is for sale or trade. Aftermarket wheels on the rear. I have a Jeep to take offroading and don’t use it anymore. Let me know if you want to take a look