whats the best way to transfer files from old to new computer?

:dunno:

i dont know that I feel like cracking open these two cases. The 80GB this thing has is plenty for me…

crossover cable and a common workgroup?

router and common workgroup within same subnet?

AIM instant transfer?

stop being lazy and slave your old drive

BEST WAY - crack open the cases and put the old hard drive in as a slave to the boot drive and copy away.

other way - get a cross over cable and network the 2 PCs (unless you have a hub/switch handy) and copy through network neighborhood

make old HD a slave is your best bet. then you have more HD space

my suggestions > *

see original post about lazyness. if I hook their ethernet ports together can i transfer shit like that?

gotta use a cross over cable if you connect them directly together.

notice my post you douche

crossover cable = a cable you don’t have so fuck that

you need a router, and then you can plug BOTH computers in at the same time and ‘share’ files, assuming you have similar IP’s within the same subnet, using the router as your gateway

or just sign on AIM on both and click ‘send file’ and send the whole fucking drive…

add: use the XP tool with computer connected via crossover cable

got a router, but ive never been able to figure out how to share files amongst the computers on it. :dunno:

pick drive, sharing. share this folder.

did that, never seemed to work. But then again my computer was so fucked up it wasnt even funny.

ship to me with enclosed 2 benjamins, copy files, I send it back. Thats the easiest way. Oh, and I will dub all your pRon to my data server too.

computer 1

right click network neighborhood - properites
ensure file and printer sharing is enabled

doubt click tcpip

type 192.168.0.4 in IP
255.255.255.0 in subnet
192.168.0.1 (router IP addy) - go to run type cmd type ipconfig /all and see what your gateway is set, then statically set that. DNS servers can be local machine or router

computer 2
192.168.0.5 in IP
type gateway

reboot both into same workgroup

open IE on computer 2 (target computer)

type \192.168.0.4\c$ (source computer’s root)

then copy and past to local HD

works for me. send me a PM?

you have to be able to figure it out from what i wrote… not too hard.

you know it makes me hard when you talk like that. in all those fancy computer terms… :naughty:

:wink: thanks. I’ll fuck with it when I get home. Gotta bounce over to work to conduct a few interviews. yay. :hsugh:

werd… hit me up aim if you need help…reduced rate of $45/hr for j00

the easiest way is to copy all of your shit onto a floppy disk and put it into the new pc, you could also use a cd if you have a burner. :smiley:

But I bet the “important” shit you have would fit onto a floppy. :smiley:

OK… even easier… e-mail it to yourself. Fuck all the cables and configurations. Put the old machine back on the net… e-mail the files to yourself… put the new machine on the net and open the e-mails… DONE