Transfering Files from one computer to another then back.

Im planning to restore my computer to factory settings, but i would like to keep all the music i have downloaded. I have a computer i got from work for free it has a 10GB HDD. Probly enough room for my music. Now do all i need to do is hook these computers up to my router and then drag things from one to the other, or is there a program i have to use?

I plan to restore my good computer then transfer the files back from my free work computer. Thanks

Yes, that will work, but it would be quicker to throw the drive into the computer and use it as a backup drive.

+1

I dont have the money to buy another HDD, and then would i need to buy windows again? My home computer has alot of problems, i got a virus that deleted information that was very important, like i cant even system restore. So hopefully i can use the Disc if i can find it to restore it to the day i got it from the store, and then just drag over the music.

if you already have the extra drive, you dont need to buy one. plug it into your PC and go. only thing is you may need to change the jumpers depending on how their set now. pretty easy to do.

Well my computer had a virus that disabled my task manager even though my account is an administrater it still tells me i dont have permission to use the task manager… And seems like every computer i have ever owned after a few years it slows down.

I got rid of the virus, well at least most of it, and, and i tried to get the task manager back which involved using the “run” program and typing in the name of a paticular file which could not be found… so the virus deleted parts of the system, even system restore doesnt work.

I think it would be easier just transferring the things i want to keep and starting fresh. I do defrag my computer now and then, but it was slow even before the virus.

Are they both running XP?

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

Try that or just google file sharing XP…

My free work computer is like windows 2000, and my good computer is XP. I hope that wont be a problem.

what i usually do every year is bomb the whole system and start fresh.

i have a 2nd drive that i keep all my music and other files i dont want to lose, then i just reformat the main drive with a fresh version of XP.

Sounds good, so could i transfer my important stuff to my free work computer’s HDD, then restore my good computer back to the day i bought it.

Then transfer my important files back to my good computer so i can reformat my work computers hdd and use it as a slave to keep things like my music i dont want to lose… can a virus just ruin both drives if i ever ran into another virus?

best bet would probably be to hook up the 2nd drive first, then format it before the operating system drive. once formatted, transfer all your files to that drive.

then go ahead with reinstalling windows on the original drive and leave it that way. then you’ll always have your music and important files on a seperate drive. so even if down the road something happens to the operating system drive, or say you get a new computer, you can just pull the 2nd drive out and put it in the new one and still have all your files without having to keep transfering them back and forth.

Well i planned on using the restore disc from the computer it came with, so if i hook up the crappy 10GB work computers HDD that has Windows 2000 the disc will reformat it with my good computer or do i have to get a program? Or am i over thinking this?

Does a Slave Drive Have to have the same operatiing system or i can just plug and play?

i think you’re over thinking.

when you hook up the 10gb work drive as a slave drive, then you start up the computer just like normal. it will still start just like it does now without that drive hooked up. only difference is now you can go to my computer, see the drive there, and simply right click and hit format. it will format that drive, then transfer all files to it once it formats. it will then be a clean drive.

once thats done, just use your restore disc to restore the original OS onto the original drive.

Ok that helps alot thanks. Hopefully my good computers system isnt ruined from the virus bad enough to not be able to reformat that HDD.

no prob man. Good luck, and if you run across anything unusual and have questions, feel free to let me know. I’ll help the best I can.