Wheel Bearing question?

My pass. side front wheel bearing has shit the bed. Again. It was just done 2 years ago, and has already gone bad. Granted I have driven a TON of miles, but none of the other wheels have gone.

Regardless, I am looking to do this. Last time, I took it to a shop, and came out with a bill for $360. I want to avoid that at all costs by doing as much DIY as possible.

Is it possible to get the bearings in there myself? if so, what is the procedure, and what tools would be needed?

If not, is there anyway to get this done without taking the whole car into a shop and dropping a few hundred dollars that I don’t have?

pull the spindle yourself and save a TON of money

there are shops that will press it for you, takes less then an hour to do that portion, in fact a decent shop can do it in like 20 minutes

Will such a shop be open on a weekend? Or will I need to take a day off from work to do this ish?

yea, a hydralic press is pretty common shop equipment, just call around, or maybe in the AM someone can suggest a shop they know of that will do it

HRK gave me some good insight late last night.

Looking for any other opinions?

we did a wheel bearing a 2gen (my bosses) even though its bolt on we ended up ruining a axle and chizzling the wheel bearing off

when one of my fronts went, i just picked up an entire hub used and swapped them.
only took an hour or so that way, and i didnt have to bother with any shops.

4 lug hubs for an s14 are pretty easy to come by though, so maybe its a different story for you.

Pep boys will do it.

Costs around $40.

Thanks for the info.

If anyone else knows of any places…

good luck, do you remember the super long post i made to you last time this happened. If the axle does not come out of the hub you are screwed. There will be no way to remove it and your best bet will be to purchase a good hub with an axle in it for your car and slap it all in as an assembly.

ROH FTW!!! not really … stupid Honda design. Yeah do it yourself. I just did mine, costed me $90 for 2 new wheel bearings and that’s it, no labor costs :tup: I also had access to a friend with a hydrolic press though…

I went the new hub assembly route. $110 total. Took some pounding to knock the old assembly loose. But once she broke free, it was cake. All the bolts were easy. It was the assembly actually rusted to the other pats. Lol.