Honda wheel bearing....anyone?

I think the wheel bearing in my brothers 99 accord EX manual is going. As the car gains speed this woooooooooong noise comes from the front. Even in neutral the cars makes the noise as he drives. Revs dont change the noise but the pitch and volume decrease as the car slows down…speed up and the pitch and volume increase.

Im thinking wheel bearing what do you guys think?

Also, how hard is it to do. A local shop said 300-400 to do both fronts

not hard at all. rent a slidehammer, buy both wheel bearings on either rockauto.com or get them local…if your in buffalo World Discounts has great prices. also make sure you buy the right size socket for the axle nut

i can remember slide hammering them things off. afterwards it would fell like my arm was gonna fall off.
do yourself a favor and call around see if NAPA presses them on and off. just take off the spindle and bring the whole spindle somewhere.
you’ll thank me later

If 300 includes the two new bearings its probably not a bad deal. Id think a shop can swap a side in an hour…

on hondas you have to use the slidehammer to remove the hub from the spindle to have the bearings pressed in and out.

at least on accords you do

I did both bearings on my 01 accord. I bought the bearings at rock auto and took the knuckles off the car myself. Brought parts to a shop and they let me press them off myself for free. This weekend I did the same thing for my e30 (same bearing setup) Shop quoted me $45 to press them in and out. I came with $35 and said 35 cash or 45 swipe. He took the cash.

not worth the extra $125 to pay someone to take the knuckles off the car.

just be careful with the ball joints and tie rods. heat the nuts real good before removal. if they spin you are probably screwed. find a tap and die set to clean out the threads on both prior to installation. lift or hammer the joint into the tapered fitting to try to prevent spinning.

You have a PM.

I find this works wonders. Soak the fuckers with Thrust or PB BLaster or whatever penetrating oil you have on hand. Let it sit for a bit. Then take a cordless drill with a wire wheel brush to the thread so when you start loosening the nut, there isn’t anything on the threads. Spray more penetrating oil, wait a bit, zip off with the air gun. I have a 20 ton press so I just remove the knuckles and do it that way but I’d like to try the slide hammer method to see what I like better

Carnut is the man!
Turns out my brother only needed 1 wheel bearing (other guy lied). The car is all nice and quite now and more brother is very happy.
Thanks for being honest and a stand up guy.
You have my future work…my bros too
:bigtup:

No problem thanks for the kind words and the work!