Wheel experts, RimPro can't fix everything...

So here’s the deal.

I sent one of my 17" Konig Impacts out to rimpro to get fixed, but despite being hopeful, they aren’t able to fix it. They were really nice tho and offered to send the wheel back on their coin which is cool so :tup: to them.

The bend in the wheel, developed small cracks apparently, so bending it back would cause further non-repairable damage.

My question is, since I can’t find a replacement wheel, and didn’t have $600+ in the plans for a new set of wheels, how bad is it to drive on? Keep in mind, this thing has held air just find for 2 years, despite going through 2 sets of tires, plus a few track days, including one at dunnville.

OR if anyone knows of a place that may possibly carry these by some way of a miracle, let me know. I really like these wheels, so I would like to salvage them somehow. If all else fails, I’m gonna drop $650 on Rota slips and cut my losses…

EDIT - also I’ll add that if I keep the wheels, they would be getting re-coated. so all that corrosion would be gone.

pic of the wheel:

You can rock it out. But it will throw off the balance I would imagine.

Just drop the coin on new ones…those look haggered

Eventually cracks grow and result in failure. That could be anytime from the next pot hole you hit to beyond the life of your car.

I wouldn’t recommend driving on them, but then again if it were me I would still be driving on them. Can you see the cracks and monitor thier growth (if any)? Can you deal with the risks of rim failure? I’d say pick up one odd wheel or a pair for the track and carry a full size spare on the street.

hmm. full size spare might not be a bad idea. If it fails, really it would just mean a flat tire, and then i’d just throw down for some new wheels.
Reason I’m trying to avoid new wheels right now is because I just ordered new tires for the bike, and the car needs new tires before it needs new wheels. So if I got new wheels too I’d be above $1000.

I’ll see when I get back if I can monitor the cracks. I can’t remember if I could see them from the outside.

EDIT - another thought is to just sell them for whatever I can get now, just so I actually have the opportunity to do so, then just put that towards new wheels/tires.

You need rims just as bad as tires…

lol at drum brakes…

At work we get a LOT of wheels/tires in all the time, I will keep my eyes open :eyes:

haha i hate those brakes. Rear discs are on my to-do list this year.

What kind of wheels/tires do you get in. I’ve honestly never seen another set of my wheels on another car. They’ve been discontinued for a long time.

well you see it would not be a replacement wheel for your car, rather 4 wheels that we take off someones trade/ etc…

it happens more then you think…

your bolt pattern is 5x?

4 newer wheels/tires fo mad cheep > Rotas (even kno they are the sex) > fixing your wheel (sorry =))

5x100. offset +35 Def let me know. That would awesome.

Where do you work?

Hey Paullo why not buy just 2 slips? Keep 2 of the old wheels on one side and the 2 new ones on the other?

Best of both worlds. I have seen that on show cars before. LoL :slight_smile:

Its cheaper for the time being at least, plus no one would really notice.

sell the other 3 on ebay one at a time. since you can’t find them, chances are that there are people like you out there who need another or would like a spare.

Profit

??? buy new wheels

you are joking right… to prove so, explain why this won’t work.

Bent wheels can cause damage. They can wear out wheel bearings.Most of all that looks like shit.Those tires look beat so why not find a set of steelies and some tires for cheap.

the wheels arent on the car now. And those tires aren’t being used anymore either. it’s an older pic.

this is what i would do. You could probably get between $125-200 per wheel depending on their worth and how rare they are…Im sure you could sell all three others and knock a good dent in the cost of new rims/tires.

Thats what i did lol, I hated my old wheels but the ricers on Focusfanatic loved them and they were disc’d so i sold them pretty quick and now im searching for new wheels lol

I hate looking for wheels for our cars.

My buddy has a set of black 18s in 5x100 lug pattern. I had them for sale a while back. Lmk if your interested even tho it looks like your looking for 17s?

yeah 18’s are too big for me. I want to keep a decent amount of tire.

There is no reason this wouldn’t work at all ever.

so there is no problem running different weight/size wheels from one side to the other?

I work at Volkswagen of Orchard Park (autohaus)