wheel studs - for spacers

ok,

so i have been doing some research.

stock stud lengths are 40mm.

meaning that if one were to have a 10mm spacer one would also need a 50mm stud to have the same thread engagement.

for a 20mm spacer one needs a 60mm stud.

now:

the tricky part is getting the new studs (ARP / H&R / Moroso) to fit the back of the hub.

i have found this info:

S13 are 12x1.25. Stud shoulders (The part that fits with the wheel hub) are 13mm. For all 8 studs.

S14 (4 and 5 bolts) are 12x1.25. Stud shoulders are 14.3mm for the front and 13mm for the rear.

and

S14 front wheel studs(According to Courtesy NIssan) 40mm long:
Serration
14.3x36t…What does that mean? I found some where else that the knurl size for the front is a .563

S14 Rear wheel studs (40mm long)
Serration
13x36t…Again have no idea what the Serration is nor the numbers after it??? But I again I found somewhere that it says that the rear has a knurl size of .511???

what other info is needed?

i left the poster’s comments and questions in the quotes

essentially

what info is needed to properly order the studs for each application?

Wheel Studs: This could be the part that causes the most concern. Ideally, the wheel studs should have a 13mm, or 14.3mm knurl diameter (depending on the application), a knurl height at is just under the hub/axle flange thickness for minimum spotfacing, a low profile (flat) head, and sufficient length for mounting the desired wheels. The nuts must contact at least 7-8 treads with the studs. Wagner and Bendix both offer a variety of studs that might fit your application. Check all dimensions carefully. Many studs will fit three out of four requirements, but few will satisfy all four. Be sure they will work.

Bing try these values…

The head should be around 5 mm thick

The head diameter should be around 19mm

The distance from the mating part of the head to the tip should be whatever length you require it to be, sounds like you want 60mm…

The point from the mating face of the head to the furthest point on the knurl should be 8.5mm to match the width of the hub for the s13 and for the s14 approximately 9.35mm (this is the .511 and .563 values)

The diameter of the knurl should be for the s13, 13mm front and back, and 14.3mm for the front s14 hubs, and 13mm for the rear s14 hubs.

Now because I don’t know about serration yet, I’m going to assume serration referred by the figure “36t” refers to the amount of teeth on the knurl… IE 36t = 36 Teeth…

Other then that, I think you’re set… If you gave those specs to a machine shop I’m sure they could work something out…

the T does represent the number of teeth I beleve per inch.
but ya it basically is a mesurement of how fine the Tap is.

Taps don’t create teeth… they create threads…

I believe teeth are pressed…

the H&R’s come with studs, so i can match them up pretty well with whatever i pick up later.

i have a part number for ARP’s that seemed to work for some friends.

i’ll ask again to make sure.

Are you just looking for info on studs bing? or do you want me to tell you which ones to get :slight_smile:

well ive got 20mm spacers and i do strongly suggest these over the 10mm and the studs i used i believe were out of an older camaro (i think) ill check back some of my posts and confirm the exact stud, which can be purchased at parts store!

Iive had them now for like 2 yrs soo if youre wondering if there good enough well i guess time tells.

very easy to install too.

hahahaha sorry I just used the wrong word

My Bad

can you get away with stock wheel studs and a 5 mm spacer?

u can but you shouldnt

also,

i need to find these studs now,

there is a buy-in required for me to order the spacers, but they arent much good without the studs…

i cant find the studs still… tried pretty hard today but no luck…

12 x 1.25 50-60mm

LOOK DAMN U

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2932&prmenbr=361

Go to parts sourse and pick up some ARP camaro studs.

I think im using these…509’’ Knurl; 12mm x 1.5 press-in stud features a .509’’ knurl, will fit most late GM applications such as Camaro/Firebird and Corvette. 2.5’’ long.

But i have to double check that when i get home…

http://www.hybridautomotive.com/tech/arp_studs/

Just like this… also come in a pack of 5 so you will have some left over but its a good buy, goes on very easily…blah blah youll figure it out.

Nismo sells 50 and 60 mm wheel studs. They’re about $60 US for a pack of 10.

Did you try them?

Dont worry about the brand name, just walk into parts source if they dont have them, they will the next day.
the ones i pointed out

i need a very specific length though, it cant be more than 60mm or less than 50mm otherwise rims with centre caps wont work or there wont be enough thread engagement.

that kind of erodes the value of the spacers.

I don’t really follow, but I’m kinda used to that. I’m guessing these spacers are a cheaper alternative, and buying $150 worth of wheel studs would be counterproductive.

I wouldn’t worry if they’re too long … you could cut them down very easily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kingdoba/240sx/complete.jpg

here is mine with a 20mm spacer