When did GM corrupt Saab?

What year did Slobs become GM? I.E. would a '99 Saab 9-5 wagon be a big domestic POS?

Saab, Porsche prices on parts and labor with none of the pedigree!

yes, it will be a gm. anything with B series engine will be GM

The 2.3 turbo is a “B series” engine? I know nothing about Saabs, other than a 9-5 wagon is nice looking and would be hella useful for me. I’ll probably just keep my Jetta another year, but as time goes on I want/need a wagon more and more.

<–Goes back to looking for Scooby Legacy wagons…

The 9-2X is a cross of saab and scooby but cheaper

But yeah a straight 9-3 9-5 from the GM Saab is not that great. It seems build quality is getting worse and worse

Oh I’d love a Saabaru, but out of my price range. I’ve got $7k left on my Jetta loan :lolham: and don’t really want to go more than ~$5k further in debt to get a more reliable/useful car. Unfortunately I’m a bit upside down on my Jetta loan otherwise I’d ditch it for what’s left on the loan and haul ass down to Virginia for this:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221744929&dealer_id=44113949&car_year=1998&model=LEGACY&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=128&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=300&make=SUB&color=&min_price=&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=14150&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=7000&cardist=300

GM only owned 50% of Saab for most of the 1990s. It was towards the end of the decade that GM took full ownership of it. It wasnt until the new 9-3 sports sedan that GM parts really started proliferating the cars though.

All of the NG900/OG9-3 engines were designated with a B, but are completely unrelated from honda b-series.

Actually, the second generation 900 and the first generation 9-3 were based on the Opel Vectra.

and also the vauxhall cavalier. No relation to the horrible chevy cavalier though.

But yz plz for the Saturn L-series.

Break me off a piece of that.

the same time that my ion got a saab transmission.

[quote=“BikerFry”"]

What year did Slobs become GM? I.E. would a '99 Saab 9-5 wagon be a big domestic POS?

[/quote]

Saab actually began using GM platforms in 1990 with the last production year 1989 900s being the last “true saabs”

I guess what I meant was, weren’t they fairly solid cars at one point but then took a sharp downturn in quality?

[quote=“redrum,post:9,topic:29810"”]

and also the vauxhall cavalier. No relation to the horrible chevy cavalier though.

[/quote]

hey… i resemble that remark.

a friend has a 9-2 aero or whatever…
its the saabaru wagon thing…

I dont hate it, but i would never buy it.

just suck it up and get the mini van.
you will find more uses that you would think.
you will be married soon anyway and will no longer need a
car hobby :smiley:

General Motors Corporation bought 50% of Saab Automobile on 15th March 1990 for USD600 million, with an option to acquire the entire company within a decade.

In March 2005, it was announced that GM would move the production of the next-generation Saab 9-3 from Trollhättan to the Opel plant in Rüsselsheim, Germany. Current models are the 9-3 and 9-5, both of which are manufactured in Trollhättan, Sweden and the Saab 9-7X SUV, manufactured in Moraine, Ohio. The Saab 9-2X, a rebadged Subaru Impreza and manufactured in Japan, was discontinued after the 2006 model year.

The 9-3 shares platforms with the Opel Vectra and the Cadillac BLS.

The 9-5 is powered by Saab’s B205 and B235 straight-4 engines, and in Europe by Alfa Romeo’s 1.9 JTD 16V diesel straight-4. A version of the GM 54° V6 powered by a unique asymmetrical low-pressure turbocharger was available from 1999 to 2003. This engine was available only with an automatic transmission, and cars with this engine installed are distinguishable by their twin tailpipes.

[quote=“drvnkd,post:14,topic:29810"”]

[/quote]

Bite me. :smiley:

Thanks for the info bigron. :tup:

[quote=“drvnkd,post:14,topic:29810"”]

[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark. I got married in 02, just had a kid, and just bought a GTO instead of a minivan. I even got the car seat base in silver to match the accent colors of the GTO’s interior. Car guy for life. :slight_smile:

Arrgh. Why am I even considering a used Swedish turbo car as a DD?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=222272150&dealer_id=617615&car_year=1999&num_records=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=128&search_type=both&distance=300&first_record=176&make=&color=&min_price=&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=14150&advanced=y&end_year=2008&pager.offset=175&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=13000&cardist=11
1 owner, 76k, $8k, 11 miles away. :ham:

Let me be blunt. If you’re considering a Pre-Full-GM ownership Saab, you are a complete fucking moron.

:lol: Yup, thank you. Deep down I know that, but I rarely let judgement play a role in my decision making process.