When do you plan to purchase/sell a home next?

Bought in Buffalo in 2008. Buying here this year. Current home value < California down payment :frowning:

Welp, Iā€™m 26 and just purchased my 3rd, would like to get #4 , 5 and 6 this calendar year but realistically will be happy if I get to #5 since the market for 3 and 4 unit properties is scarce. That said, not to be a downer, but I have a company I use for inspections & prospecting. Just some market research info I suppose. As per the single family, Iā€™ve been in my current single family for about 12 months and may stay a while, but that depends more on whether I can sell my LLC or not. If I sell that thing, I will probably move to Texas for 6 months + 1 day annual because of the tax code.

Iā€™ve been in my house for 2 years, will be looking for something larger with property within the next 4-5 years. After buying and living in my own house I now have a better idea what I want and need.

Next house must have a larger kitchen, attached garage for the daily drivers, and a detached garage or space to build one to work on/store the toys.

Thatā€™s not a downer, There are like 200 inspectors in the area. I wont win and have no desire to win all the business out there. I have enough connections and marketing experience to hopefully keep myself busy enough and fund my next build in a few years.

For sure. In my honest opinion, as someone who started a service business and tried to do the heavy lifting for too long on my own, Iā€™d recommend just building the brand and then hiring inspectors on flat rate 1099 under you. Thatā€™s the way itā€™ll be fiscally the most intelligent while also legally avoiding all of the payroll implications that exist now.

That is 100% my model. I already have two guys that arrangements are being made with. I am in sales so I am the guy that can drive the business. I am a very competent inspector, more competent than 95% actually but you are correct in that I donā€™t want to do all of the work all of the time.

It wasnā€™t really something I actually looked in to or thought about.

I figured it out when I started looking at rental prices. First time on Zillow looking at pieces of dirt in Santa Ana going for 3-400k was a big eye opening moment for me. Haha.

Pay to play. Once you have the down payment youā€™re never going to lose money owning anything near the beach. Especially when theyā€™re zoned for short-term vacation rentals and can generate a yearā€™s salary in a summer.

Well after throwing away rent for 6 years, it got old real fast. Plus my wife and I finally settled into jobs that weā€™ll be in for the foreseeable future, so the time was right.

I just canā€™t imagine retiring here due to the cost and amount of people.

Itā€™s sticker shock more than anything. If you are compensated fairly for the area itā€™s not an issue.

Weā€™ll see what the next 2 years brings. We are falling more and more in love with it out here as time goes on.

Yea, it is kind of sickening throwing $20k+ a year away in rent.

I have been in my current home since December 2012 and Iā€™m on house 5 as far as investments. Looking to buy or build in the next year or so.

I close May 13th on my forever home, our first house that we purchased in 2009 sold and closes the same day.

New house is basically finished but iā€™m sure ill have a few more build threadsā€¦like a 25 x 40 two story pole barn with a gym upsatirs and all my tools and toys downstairs :slight_smile:

Entering into the market for my first piece of property this summer. Ideally looking for a duplex to start.

I love my current home, live in a great neighborhood in Cheektowaga. Iā€™m not planning on moving out unless two things happen: I have a family, cause my house is no place for 3 or more people.

1. A ton of minorities move in. And before you say Iā€™m racist, NO. My parents neighborhood in Cheektowaga by Town Park was beautiful growing up. When I got to about 18 years old a lot of the old Italian and Polish couples began to pass away or move into nursing homes, and the city life moved in. That neighborhood is a shit hole now. Itā€™s only a matter of time for me, hoping for at least another 10 years.

This is my current situation as well. I bought my first home with a 10 year plan. Iā€™m about halfway through and Iā€™m looking to move that timeframe up a little. Having started a new job and now working for a bank has both thrown a wrench into things, but also opened up a couple new opportunities that I didnā€™t have before. It seems like everyday I go to work, new opportunities open up and I see more potential for myself in my career. That also raises the bar for what I want in another house and what I can see myself being comfortable with and being able to afford.

I will say that buying my first home and going through the inspection process will be a night/day difference in the next house I buy.

Maybe I should buy a bando in Detroit this year.

we have been in house #2 since late 2010. I love the house and we put in a pool a couple of years ago thinking it was a long term place. now with 2 kids though my wife has definitely got the new house bug. She wants to make a pretty big upgrade, to a point I canā€™t imagine it not being a forever home. I bet we move in the next 2-3 years before our oldest gets to school age.

what are the requirements to be a home inspector in NYS? My brother had one done when he bought in Brooklyn a few years ago and when I saw it, I told him he should have just thrown the money away. It was a completely garbage report and heā€™s paid the price in the years since. The house was a flip and they hid a ton of sins behind fresh walls and paint.