When do you plan to purchase/sell a home next?

It’s pretty easy to become a home inspector, more easy than it should be. I took free classes through the department of state to become a code enforcement official, mostly to help with the ARE (it did!) and as far as I know I just have to pay some money and I can be a home inspector.

Seems like every HVAC tech or salaried contractor is a building inspector on the side.

You sure got this right. My wife has friends who live right in this area and now it’s like watching a wildfire approaching knowing someday it will all be over.

Skipped the starter home purchase and bought in 2011. I’ll be upgrading in the next 24-36 months (unless something pops up and I can’t resist…I look almost daily). Need about 1,000 more sq ft and atleast 3/4 acre+

We moved because of the kids. The requirements are pretty easy. You pay a few grand for the classes and another chunk of cash to the state. If you know construction and how systems work it is a cake walk. I did see a few people that will either not get their license or will not be around for very long. Fresh walls and paint go a long way. I have tools that ideally would help to uncover those issues but most do not, and even still there is never a 100% chance of finding buried issues. There are also fly over inspectors that get all of their business from agents so they will gloss over the reports as to not kill the deal.

They made the law that everyone who inspects homes has to take the HI courses, even PE’s. Knowing what you know however it is just a waste of 140 hours of your time and a few grand in fees to be able to add it to your resume or service offerings. What I am noticing is that it may be easy to get the license but customer acquisition is a hurdle and once you have them actually doing a proper job is another leap for many.

This is close to where I am at. I am on house #2 and we added the square footage we wanted but only on 1/2 acre. The road noise bothers me, I still want bigger for some stupid reason, and I want 5-10 acres on the next move. I am never going to be satisfied with anything that will be on the market so I am pretty set on sticking here for maybe 5 more years (have to locate and purchase land, and save for a massive DP) then building my dream house. I will only keep that for 20 years or so then on to downsizing and traveling.

you are spot on. And to answer your original question, we will be purchasing something in the next year or so. I am an RA but I will still bring someone in for a second set of eyes

so you don’t have to apprentice or work under anyone for a particular period of time? just classes and certification and you can go out and start inspecting?

sounds surprisingly easy for NYS.

Thread bump because I missed it.

My wife has decided we must get out of Tonanwanda ASAP.
We have been unable to find anything special with 1+ acres and not totally over priced or over taxed.
The thought at the moment is to build, but I still need to find land in a good school district.

I actually have my original inspection book from 2004. I bought my house from an estate and got in before the real estate agents.
It’s a decent book and the stuff is not rocket surgery.

We are working the FS by owner, but that is a huge long shot. I am having a very very hard time justifying $10,000 for an agent when the houses in my area sell on 1-2 days.
You should have skipped the inspector and moved straight to a broker. 3% for a buyers agent, 3% for the listing agent (of which, they actually only get 1-2%)

So Mike, You should offer a side service for home sellers. Pre-home sale inspections 1/2 the price for a more informal property review to discuss known issues and
check for major ones. I think it should be payable in beer, but that’s just me.

If you get a call for 64 N. Ellwood let me know :smiley:

Go here: Home Buyer and Move In Inspections in Orchard Park NY | inFOCUS Inspection and click on the move in certified tab. I can work something good out for you.

I have no desire to work as hard as an agent does for the pay. Don’t get me wrong, they can make 100k and live nicely but they work from like 8am to 9pm six to seven days a week. I work my normal job from 7:30-4:30 5 days a week and insert a few inspections after those hours or on the weekend and I come out on top.

Also, the seller agent commission is negotiable so keep that in mind. Hunt and Realty Usa will be hard to negotiate with, but a smaller broker will work with you on the costs. I personally find the time and energy that the agents put in to be worth the expense. My last house sold in hours because Jennifer called the top buyer agents in the area and brought them through before clients so they would recommend the property.

Why the move out of Tonawanda, if you don’t mind me asking?

Dude…Clarence…great schools and land available and unless youre buying in spaulding lake or amherst schools the taxes are super reasonable. $5200/year on 360k house.

Those taxes are super cheap for Amherst lol

ya i was paying almost $5k on my house in williamsville that just sold for $180k…

My kids are going to get caught up in the 5/8th grade transitions
5th grade is in middle school, and 8th grade in High school.

Then they will likely up class sizes even further. I’m getting tired of my kids being teachers pets helping
teachers with the kids that are at a lower level.

I’m also too loud for my neighbors with no room for dirt bikes or any toys.

Edit. It’s hard to find land in Clarence.
If anyone knows of anything let me know.

Ah okay, yeah that makes sense.

there is a place on salt rd with 6 acres…i think high 200s

market is great right now :slight_smile: I sold my new build in Spokane,WA for $252k, purchased it last year for $232k. ahhh the benefits of leverage. (and, i will highly advise against buying a house, and then selling it a year later)

Bought my current home (second house) in the last weeks of 2013, and plan on this being my last house unless life takes me to somewhere that it never snows. The house is perfect for me now, and I’d rather add-on in the future than lose my prime location/property.