Where did you run your power for your electric fan?

what source did you use to wire your E fan to an ACC ignition power source?

You’ll obviously want to take power directly from the battery.

Use a readily available bosch style 40A SPDT relay. Use any source of ignition to power the coil on the relay and use a #10AWG wire ran from the battery to the fan with a fuse somewhere inline that is accessible.

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/efans/index.html

thats for s14. (i did it works great never been happier to get that clutch fan out)

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/first_gen_electric_fan_install.htm

thats for s13. not sure how well it works as i have never tried it

Wired to a switch as follows:

I’d rather do this than run it all the time with ignition on. Helps me warm
up the car faster. :dunno:

Just gotta be careful not to forget to turn it on after 80C+ :noes:

F*ck relays

http://son.my240.com/efandiag.jpg

i donno it only took me a good 30min to do everything including taking out the clutch fan shroud which was a bitch. makes everything cleaner and look oem which i like. Plus you dont have an ugly switch to turn on everytime you drive.

I wired mine directly from the battery terminal using a relay. I tried without a relay at first but kept burning out my switches.

thanks boys appreichate it

Id personally use Gonads method but with a relay incase you forget to turn it off. Relays are fun to work with when you figure out how to wire them and what good use they are

If it works for you that is good but that has to be the most awful method.
You can obviously forget to turn it on which I am sure is bound to happen, like who really wants to remember to switch their fan on. You also said you don’t like to run it all the time with the ignition, does that mean you sit there flicking it on and off as your coolant heats up and then cools back down? Probably not. Also those switches are probably not rated for the amount of current flow that an electric fan draws, something is bound to happen eventually. I’m not trying to be an ass, just trying to show the OP the downside to doing it that way.

You can also buy a water temp switch which can control the coil of your relay which turns on at a preset temp (you buy them for whatever temperature you like) and you will have a properly wired fan that turns on and off with temp and does not run constantly.

^^^the dangerous thing about doing it gonads way is the switch could actually melt…a friend of mine owns a stereo shop in town, and he sold me some sort of relay…so it goes from the battery power->to relay-> then to the switch i have…

if ur getting electric fans and wiring it urself, might aswell get a water temp gauge so u know how ur cars running…the stock one sucks imo

i would run a wire from the battery with a main fuse, than through a electromechanical thermostat (that i would mount on my rad) and than to a fan, and possibly have a shutoff ovveride switch, and the main wire that goes to fan would be on a relay thats triggered from ACC, you dont wanna hook the fan directly to ACC as that would load up the circuitry quite alot, thats how i would do it becuase that way my automated temperature controlled fan would come on and off automatically without me worrying about it

I have been looking for a temp switch but haven’t.

I have been using this method for a while now and nothing’s happened

• except me forgetting to turn swtich on once - only got to like 94C before I realized.

does anyone know an easy source to tap into the acc circuit?

put a relay and hook to battery, hook relay to acc, put a switch on there

Couldnt have said it better myself =D> . If you still want a temp controlled relay im sure you could have a override switch to turn the temp controlled relay on or off at any given time…you may need two switches tho…one for on and one for off…i havnt had the chance to see or play with a temp controlled relay but id be interested in knowing. Relays are the greatest invention since the 1st automobile! There were 36 of them in our schools kit car lambo. I hate relays and wiring after that car.

yeah, Gonad’s method works, but it’s not the best way. I actually fried my switch because of the excessive load. I put a relay plus a 20amp fuse and try not to use the switch unless the sensor needle is rising.