Electric fans

hey guys

wondering if anyone has just installed some electric fan(s) out of another vehicle and found a “cheap” way to do it. I certainly dont want to get an expensive kit but i have 2 identical fans from a civic i could install but im not familiar with how i would wire it up to have them turn on automatically or how to attach them to the rad since they are smaller than the rad. I hear there is some kind of way to insert some kind of like anchor THROUGH the rad fins to hold it on??

Any ideas? Thanks.

ford taurus fan.

okay and thanks for that

anyone else? maybe someone who doesnt drive a bastardized zebra?

Im using twin Altima fans. They work amazing but will need some modification to make them fit.

Yeah, any fans will work.

Then just get an adjustable thermo switch and you’re set. The switch comes with a probe that goes in between the fins of your rad…when the probe gets to a preset temp, the fans come on. These switches can be had for about $60 or so.

If there are mounting holes on the frame of the fan you can mount it with zipties.
Zipties go thru the rad no problem.

Anyone know a good power source in the engine bay that I can hook my fan up to? One that is only on when the car is on. I dont trust those automatically activated fan switches.

i hooked mine up to main ignition power so its always on when the car is on ACC that way i never have to worry about it.

ps its the stock AC fan

Where in the engine bay is that? (picture would help alot)
or did you hook it upto the one thats in the dash that goes into the key?

I use 12v constant from the fuse box…cause…well I do trust automatically activated fan switches.

Prior to this I used the exist fan circuit, but for some reason when my two fans kicked on it kept blowing the fuse…so I switched and have not had another problem.

yea i dont want the fan on all the time- its useless over like 30 kph anyhow

Id rather be able to turn it on when i need to with a switch (which I already have hooked up), but I want it to shut off no matter what when car shuts off.

Well, in my case I never really worry about it.

They stay off 98% of the time when I’m driving (big Koyo rad) and it only really kicks on when I am idlinging after a good hard run

To-date, my fans have never stayed on after I shut down because I always time down for 2 minutes (based on Compustar setting) and that cools the car down enough to turn the fans off. If the fans ever do stay on after shutdown I know perhaps I need to time the car down some more (motor still quite hot - over 200c) or I have the option to increase (or decrease) the temperature at which the switch is activated.

At the end of the day there are many different ways to make fans work…this is the one I chose.

maybe if you werent such a smart ass you’d look it up and see that im not lying biotch.
Heres some proof:

Theres just a few examples, it you want more just let me know because I would absolutely LOOOOOOVE to show you some more. :smiley:

do you have albertos old car dude? if so we saw you ripping up the 400 getting off at 7 or something a couple days ago. car looks hot as usual.

anyways. Use a relay wired directly to the battery. Fans draw a lot of current and you wouldn’t want to blow a fuse overworking a wire or worse.

Mike run one side of your switch to switched 12v (from your head unit would be fine) and the other end into the relay, out that side of the relay you want to go to ground. When you open the switch now it will activate the relay. When you shut off the car that 12v switched source will die causing hte relay to shut the fan off, or if you switch the switch to off you’ll kill the ground which will cause the relay to shut off fan power as well. The other two pins on the relay will be straight from you battery with large gauge wire, and the other end directly into your fanzors.

YEEEE

do you have albertos old car dude? if so we saw you ripping up the 400 getting off at 7 or something a couple days ago. car looks hot as usual.

[/quote]

:smiley: - Twas me.

Happy240sx… where did you find an adjustable fan relay? I have been looking all over for one!

Just got my s14. My fan is on all the time. For the first 10 minutes or so the car runs without it. But when it kicks in it wont shut off. The car never runs hot and the fan goes off when I turn off the car.

For the most part, it sounds like a chevy Astro van or something. Is that normal??

Nope, your clutch fan is seized. Mine too. :x

Car will run A LOT quiter after you fix/replace/remove it.

really?? Damn. This fan is quite loud…definately gotta go!

how bad is it if I remove it and leave it off?

If it is bad, how much will it cost to replace it?

Any ideas?

Your car probably won’t overheat if you take it off, if you replace it, then it’ll cost maybe $20. If a shop replaces it dunno, maybe $200?