Where or who does Gold or Chrome plating on plastic???

Looking for some plastic pieces plated, who does it locally and has anyone had any experience with said place? Looking for a few small plastic pieces plated in either gold or chrome, maybe other colors if they can. Let me know, thanks.

I don’t think you can “plate” plastic, only paint it. Maybe dye it?

You can, I have watched some youtube vids on it.

by the definition of plating you cannot.

Plating is a surface covering in which a metal is deposited on a conductive surface

^^^ That’s what I was thinking.

I don’t know if its technically plating but it sure looks like it. I also don’t know about gold but chrome can be done.

I had some parts made by this guy and he had some sample parts that were chromed. I think he does the plating himself.
http://real3dparts.com/services/

I had looked at getting some parts done for work; I don’t know of any places local that do it though.

Vacuum-Deposition Aluminum is what you want.

Essentially they mask the part; put it into a vacuum, and vaporize aluminum, and it deposits onto the parts giving the “chrome” look. They then spray a clear coat over the top to protect it and keep it shiny.

It is plating though, they paint the surface with conductive paint then plate it.

This is what you need but i’m not sure who does it around here and it’s not plating… Sorry about the crappy link with ads but this is the best video on how it works. Jay lenno FTW :slight_smile:

I have seen that before but i dont know who does it, i want some sun glasses done for some custom Oakleys.