black chroming question..

i know it can be done with metal…but can it be done with plastics?

Chrome plating plastic??why…

You can send small stuff out to be vacuum metalized, but it’s not chrome.
It’s aluminum that within a vacuum, is evaporated, and then will ‘bond’ with plastic.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2184/2141/30458570014_large.jpg

i meant the black chrome look…

and do we really need that picture?
for the record…its not even for my sentra…

BLAAAT edit.

Oh you would, wouldnt you. :lol

Welcome back to 2001

Pm Travis Koch. Member notsl0w. He did this to his teeth.

I didn’t know the chrome turns orange over time…

you can probably take a piece of plastic, spray it with chrome, then mix clear and black and mist super thin coats over that to get something close to that look by layering

why the FUCK would you do something like this ?!?

im not sure. different preference?

Yea just wondering what made him think about this though .

maybe he hates chrome trim?

Just skip the thought process and buy a rattle can. We all know that’s how its ultimately going to be done anyway.

How come we cant simply answer an automotive related question, godforbid, when they pop up. Who the fuck cares who is asking it, what potential they have to pull it off, or what they have driven/owned in the past?

with that being said, I have no good answer for you question OP. “chroming” plastic is nowhere near like chrome plating metals. Think plastic model car kits. the chrome parts trees are what your thinking right? if so I think Status is on to how it works… I am sure a little research on the web would support it too.

google “chrome coating plastic”

BAM

http://www.muellercorp.com/chromeplatingplastic.htm

Yes / Yes

Ive sent out things for customers that insist (for whatever reason)
to the company you linked. It’s a pretty cool concept, but the cost is high-
not that it matters, it’s not my money!

yea, the stuff is already chrome…like the plastic trims and such…(all OEM) and i just wanted to tone it down a bit…im not a fan of a ton of chrome shit…so yea, that was the idea…

did i not call it?

u can prolly spray it with a mix of black and clear, then ull need to make sure that mess wont chip. so maybe some clear film or a thick layer of clear or some kind of clear resin with hardener. trim pieces always get scratches and nicks in em.