Where the F did my Start Bar/desktop go?

My computer did a system update a few weeks back,and when it came back up, my start bar and desktop items were MIA.

Turns out explorer.exe won’t stay running. I can run the task, but the bar flickers in the bottom, and then disappear quickly.

I don’t have ANY of my windows cd’s with me so i can’t re-install windows, and a system restore did nothing.

The computer still works, it’s just a bitch to navigate without the taskbar.

Any ideas on what i can do?

are you sure it’s not hidden in any of the sides? hold the mouse on all 4 sides to make sure it won’t pop out…

OK, there are a few starter things you can do.

first off, open Task Manager. Either CTRL ALT DEL and choose it, or quicker, CTRL SHIFT ESC

go to File ->> Run ->>

type MSCONFIG and go to Startup tab. Choose the Disable All at the bottom, and restart the computer. See if that helps the Explorer.exe stay open. If so, its a software issue with something that starts on windows. use MSCONFIG to find it, turning one item on at a time.

If that doesn’t work, go to Task Manager. Run ->> CHKDSK /r
it will open a DOS window, asking you to choose. click Y for Yes. It will run Checkdisk on next startup

Then, try RUN->> SFC /scannow
this will run the system file checker. it will probably prompt for the windows XP CD. Have it handy.

Keep me informed