where to find VW parts?

i’m getting a 94 passat vr6 to use as a beater, but it needs a tranny. noone around me has one, and i don’t have a damn clue where to look for one. any ideas? even if you know of somewhere to get a tranny overhaul kit, that’ll work too. could be a fun project.

also, anyone know of any other common problems with these things? if it’s gonna be a money pit, i’m just gonna strip it and part it out on ebay and scrap the shell or something.

talk to sailor

stick or automatic? also, if stick, what tranny code? no one in this area has one, can get one shipped in. wilkl come w/ 90 day warranty.

auto. any ideas on what it’ll cost? i’m only paying $40 for the whole car just because my friend is tired of looking at it, so i’m not looking to put a lot of money into it.

it’ll be a good amount more than 40 b ucks! that’s for sure.

yeah, that’s why i’m gonna part the bitch out if i can’t get it for a few hundred or so. i’m not gonna put a bunch of money into it.
anyone need a good vr6 engine? heated leather seats? ugly ass bbs wheels? :smiley:

well, there are no used auto trannys listed in the entire state of PA.

I can get you a reman. tranny w/ a 3year/75k warr + your core for 2200…

cheapest used price on the east coast is still around a 1500 after shipping-- that will have 90 day warranty.

in other words, tranny aint cheap.

shit, i’d buy the car off ya but i sure as fuck aint dishing out 1500 for a tranny. You probably are better off parting the car. motors dont bring much money, as they are distributor motors. other parts on the car dont sell-- the bbs wheels, the interior, etc. We are cheapest on east coast for alot of these parts, passat specific shit dont move…

whoa, damn. didn’t expect them to be quite THAT high, especially for an 11 year old car. what’s so special about them to be so highly priced? do ya think an overhaul kit would be worth going for? i have my ASE for autos so i know i could do it, but if it’ll still be a fortune, it’ll end up in the scrapyard for sure. kind of a shame for a car that is in such good shape except for the tranny.

they share the same tranny w/ the vr6 jetta/golf vw’s are notorious for trannys shitting the bed. they newer trannys are not to bad. but pre 99.5 all go-- be it 4 or 6 cylinder.

at work, in the past 6 months we have had 8 requests for the auto tranny—no sales due to none on stock.

for the 5 spd 4 cylinder tranny, we have had over 50 requests in same time frame. shit, we take customers 5spds and totally rebuild them, or we take cores and totally overhaul them and sell them as rebuilt trannys w/ nice warranty w/o problems.

if u had a stick, i could help u piece one togetehr via other more common trannys. but the auto im lost on. never tried ripping one apart as there is a shit load of special tools u need for them.

my suggestion to u is to buy the car and sit on it. a tranny will pop up. i’ll look on vw boards and try to find one for cheap.

How many miles on this car? Like Sailor said, these trannys take a shit on a regular basis once they get some miles on them. The other main cause of failure is people putting the wrong fluid in them. The 4 speed VW Autos use “special” VW fluid, and I’ve seen a lot of these tranny fucked up because Joe Blow put in Dexron. It doesn’t take long to smoke one once that has been done. I’ve never had one apart, but I’m betting replacement parts cost a small fortune and are prolly next to impossible to find-- hence the ridiculous prices for rebuilt units.

i think i know where one is don’t know how much it would cost but it shouldn’t be too much…if you take care of your VW tranny it will take care of you put tranny oil in it thats not too thin like everyone usually does don’t beat the fuck outa it and it will go for 150,XXX ++++++

what about the U-Pull-it past century 3 mall , my buddy got a tranny for his golf up there for $85. he said there where tons of v-dubs there to. i could find out where it is exactly if need be. lemme know

no way…

i guess you’re talking about sechrist? no vr6’s there… i was just there last weekend…