Whining noise on Evo 9, opinions/ suggestions wanted

I’ll try and shorten this up and get to the point. I decided to get my transmission rebuilt and get a tune-up on my Transfer case from TRE in MI about 3 weeks ago. Also replaced the clutch. I decided to have a dealership do the overhaul work for my own personal reasons.

After a 2-3 week ordeal turned into a 2 month nightmare, both TRE transmission and Transitowne Mitsubishi dropped the ball. Both parties decided to take their sweet ass time, not to mention TRE lost my Transfer case at Fed-Ex some how; but fuck it that’s water under the bridge… just happy to have the car back.

I got the car back 3 weeks ago and noticed a very peculiar whining noise going 30+ mph. I thought maybe this was due to the gears/ syncros setting in and perhaps the T-case tune-up. I emailed Jon at TRE only getting the obvious questions that should have been asked; for example… “call the dealership and make sure they topped off the fluids and also make sure they put the right fluids in”… which they did of course. Jon assured me it wasn’t the T-case.

So anyways, the whining noise got louder, to the point I couldn’t even hear the radio. It almost sounded like the wheel bearings. 943kgt (Anthony) suggested I call the dealership and see if they torqued the axle nuts to spec; possibly causing a strain on my front bearings.

I took it yesterday to Transitowne Mitsubishi and they’re %100 certain its a transmission bearing… I’m not convinced seeing Jon at TRE has been rebuilding these transmissions for quite sometime now but its not out of the question. I suggested the possibility of it being the bearings and the response I got was “we have the top Evo mechanic in WNY, he knows what hes doing”

I don’t see how its a transmission problem because when shifting in neutral coasting to a stop the noise is relatively noticeable and when in gear the whining only happens when accelerating.

So with all of that said, I don’t feel as if I should have to throw another dime into labor or anything else for that matter. Both the labor and the work is guaranteed for a year through TRE and the dealership. It was made clear to me yesterday by the dealership that its not on them so they will not cover another tear down ect…

Jon at TRE was already contacted by phone and email yesterday with no response. I want him to talk directly with the dealership.
I’m also going to get a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

Any suggestions mechanically and how I should resolve this matter with both parties involved?

Thanks,

Jarrod

Have you checked if its the rear diff dude …?

not yet. The car was fine before the the work was done but I guess anythings possible.

Yeah especialy with evo diffs … wheres the whine coming from ? left/ right ? front/ rear?

Normaly the diff starts to whine then just gets louder and louder.

Seems to be in the front of the car, concentrated on both left and right sides.

from the sound alone, it sounds like the x-case death whine…

check your fluid on the transfer case and tranny just to be sure. i wouldnt trust a dealer telling me something unless i checked it for myself.

weird that this is happeneing, ive never heard anyone have troubles with a TRE transfer case OR tranny. i have a feeling the dealer made a booboo…

If they didn’t use the 90w transfer case fluid then your t-case will die in short order. That fluid is 90 dollars a gallon. Check your receipt for the itemized fluids. If they don’t have that listed go to the dealer and check the work order and ask to see the itemized parts that were charged to it it should include
MITSUBISHI Limited Slip Differential Oil (LSD) pn: 3775610

LOL at top evo mechanic in WNY

Thanks Paul and Don. :tup: Yea I actually talked them into not charging me for the fluid becasue of the last time I was in there but thats a whole nother story in itself.

the whine get louder as you go faster right? most have the same exact sound as you described, they’ll be on the highway cruisin and it sounds like a train horn goin off while youre driving.

there is no noticable leaks that you found right? id jack the car up and take a peak just to be sure, ya never know but maybe they forgot to tighten down the drain plug on your x-case or something stupid. but either way it sounds like something is terribly wrong already.

i highly doubt its something with the tranny

Nothing leaking that I’ve noticed. Yes as I go faster. Actually just got off the phone with Jon at TRE a few mins ago. He said exactly what you said Paul, no issue with the transmission but its apparent something major with the T-case. I’m actually back on the phone with Jon discussing a course of action.

shitty… its more than likely going to have to be pulled again to be further inspected… good luck

Wow, $90 per gallon for fluid? I’m surprised that amsoil doesn’t make a product to compete with that.

At least if it’s the transfer case, you don’t have to pull the entire tranny. That part you can do on your own since it seems like the dealership isn’t gonna do jack shit.

Fuck dealerships. I can’t believe you let them work on a modded car. Of course they aren’t going to warranty shit!

And like Don wrote, best Evo mechanic in WNY??? Bahahahaha!

my car would make the same noise on deceleration, and would go away on acceleration
pretty sure its the xcase

it is pretty steep, but it goes a long way. xcase and rear diff only use .5 quarts each.

ive had my can for about 2 years now, still have around 1/4 of it left

I’d rather not get into why I decided to let the dealership do the work instead of a local shop. It was also a matter of having the car towed to the dealership because my clutch wasnt engaging and the car wasnt going anywhere (input shaft completely destroyed)… free towing to the dealership. Also the manager there at the time I had a good rapport with but since then 2 managers have been replaced towards the end of the rebuild… now some asshole from dodge is in there.

So the dealership is saying its a tranny bearing and Jon at TRE says its more than likely not enough Diaqueen in the xcase or they drove it with out then added it afterwords.

I’m kinda stuck in the middle and if its on TRE, Jon will cover everything, but he wants me to first have the dealership drain the xcase fluid in front of me to be sure. Even then the possibility of them saying I tampered with the xcase is inevitable

Diaqueen is thick as molasses when cold and smells horrible, but still may be difficult to identify unless htye used somehting very different… but with your problems at hand this very well may be true? Good Luck

Does this guy have darker hair and a beard?

no I think you’re thinking of the old manager… Ted which is the guy I had a good rapport with. I called on a wed to talk to him to see when the car was going to be ready and then when I called on friday he was gone.

As soon as I first heard the nosie I had a feeling it might be the transfer case. Its funny you said it smells horrible because I could’ve swore I smelled something a few days ago that smelled like diaqueen. I’m going to get a second opinion today and go from there but will deff update this thread. thanks.

if you’ve ever talked with Jon from TRE it’s like each transfer case is his child… I find it hard to believe he messed one up.