I'm Trying To Blame New Era Performance For Blowing Up My Tranny...

After I had my car Dynotuned there I call Mike at New Era to make a follow up appt for street tuning because it was missing at part throttle and he says that it was because I was in the car with him and that he normally goes by himself and that I would have to drop it of so he can get it right. See My other post about the tuning problems Here:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767961
I tell him that I dont have the time to drop it off and will drive it for a while to see if it gets better. It did get a little better but I was still not happy with it because it was missing at part throttle so I decide to drop it off on a thur. and pick it up on Mon since I had the day off. He calls me on Sat and he sounds nervous, at first I thought he crashed my car! He tells me that there is something wrong with my tranny that it was grinding and it stuck into first. I tell him that it was like new when I dropped it off and that he must have missed a gear or was really beating on it (power shifting). He tells me no and in fact he did not get it over 3k rpm. He tells me he thinks it is driveable and he wanted to know what I wanted him to do?!? I guess he was on the side of the road. I told him to take it back to the shop if he thought it was OK.
I call him back and appoligized to him that I blew up on him and asked
him if he made it back OK. He said it felt fine now and maybe the clutch
fluid just heated up and was not disengaging all the way. So on Monday
I pick it up and he wanted an extra $50 for the street tune and he ask
if I wanted to take it for a ride to see if it was OK or just head for
home. I told him my wife was with me and I have AAA if I had a problem
with it. He started changing his story that it really did not grind & he thought it was the clutch. (New Textralia). So on the way home and it starts grinding pretty bad and I knew right away it was not the clutch. When I got home I drain it and allot of liitle pieces of aluminum come out! The Tranny needs to be rebuilt! It going to cost me at lease 1K and probably the rest of the
racing season. I just wish he would own up to it! I have 40K on the
Tranny and it never grinded once not once then he drives it and its
toast. Come on! He said he had time to fix the tuning issues but it
feels the same to me. I did call him back to see if he could help me out with it and he immediately jumped on the defensive that he did nothing wrong. But the fact of the matter is that it broke when it was in his hands and he should do something to help me. I am not asking him to pay for the whole thing, just help out a little and treat me with some respect. I let a few days go by and called a freind to help me out. He told me that I should call Mike at New Era back to see if he changed his mind before I post.
I told him that I did not think he wanted to talk to me so he decided to call him and also got thye same responces & added that I called him up swearing at him which I did not do. I actually referred my freind to New Era for a Tune and he was happy with it. But I guess if something goes wrong he just wipes his hands. He thinks I drove my car over 1-1/2 hours away with a bad tranny just to set him up. Yeah right. Thanks allot Mike!

This is gonna be good :popcorn:

Next time chose PM performance instead :tup:

cliffs?

really? already on a public forum? poor form…

Oh man… FIRST

FUCK

PWNED

[quote=“Locutus,post:3,topic:34195"”]

cliffs?

[/quote]

Dood drops off car to be tuned. Tuner Skunk’s dood’s tranny and lies about it. Dood takes car home to find metal shavings in tranny. Tranny needs rebuilding. Racing season over. Dood is pissed.

[quote=“RuBiCaNT,post:7,topic:34195"”]

Dood drops off car to be tuned. Tuner Skunk’s dood’s tranny and lies about it. Dood takes car home to find metal shavings in tranny. Tranny needs rebuilding. Racing season over. Dood is pissed.

[/quote]

TY and WTF @ lying?

where is studderin

THATS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

thats pretty fucking shitty… good luck, unfortunately this is going to be a tough one to get anything out of. I’ve been boned by places big time too (buying motorsets) fact of the matter is you end up with little to no proof of anything and it leaves you SOL :frowning:

Qutoe from other sites

[quote=“mike@nep”"]
I never once said that the transmission was grinding , I told you that it stuck in first gear in a parking lot after I reflashed the pcm (after a 3 mile drive) and once again after a few more miles , and that I heard what sounded like a rubbing noise a couple of times when it was in third and first gear at low rpm driving and that I was pretty much done tuning anddidn’t want to drive it any more becasue I wasn’t sure what was wrong , I have never worked on this car , just tuned it . My story never changed , yours did . The drive tuning was only to clear up a part throttle hesitation issue and some idle tuning , there was no need to go WOT so it was dropped off already having issues if it sticks in 1st gear after a 3 mile drive .

When you race a car literally every week for 5 yrs and 583 rwhp with a stock transmission you are pushing it , to pin this on me for driving the car down the street never going above 45 mph and the thing sticking in gear the first time I pulled over to reflash is rediculous . If I felt I was at fault I would be more than happy to take care of it .
[/quote]

Since there is always two sides to every story, its only fair for everyone to see all the information:

Mike sumed it up. We stand behind our work. But you some people you WILL NEVER make happy.
btw. The car picked up around 300whp (thats right 300 not 30 peak numbers) compired to the “tune” that it came in the shop running, form the last motor. We did no work on the car just the last tuning

i just dont know why an ls1 car pushing 11psi (or anything over 6psi for that matter) would be tuned on the MAF when theres 2bar tuning capabilities available. makes no sense to me :gotme: that thing is flowing way too much air for that MAF to read, and anything above that certain point is a guessing game with the MAF

how about some more details? like how you’ve been racing a 600 HP car with the stock tranny and rear end for how long now? 5 years? and you expect it to last forever? shit happens, idle and part throttle tuning wont blow a T56.

When i blew my first T56 the first time i noticed was when i was driving normal. I did a soft shift from 2-3 on the highway and then 3rd popped out into nuetral. its what happens when you race. shit breaks.

it picked up 300?! lol wtf shit tune was on there before.

anyways- no one will benefit from this thread

Sounds like your shit broke. When mine breaks, I replace it, I don’t go trying to find someone to pay for it for me. :shrug:

in on one.

EDIT: sounds like more to the story. if you’ve really been making that kind of power for that long, you’re long overdue for a blown tranny. don’t pin this on new era. man up and replace it.

I love the wall of text, it’s just like all caps in a way. That said it sounded a bit like a ticking timebomb.

[quote=“Studderin,post:11,topic:34195"”]

But you some people you WILL NEVER make happy.

[/quote]

In this case…i agree.

[quote=“mondi2002"”]

After I had my car Dynotuned there I call Mike at New Era to make a follow up appt for street tuning because it was missing at part throttle and he says that it was because I was in the car with him and that he normally goes by himself and that I would have to drop it of so he can get it right. See My other post about the tuning problems Here:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767961
I tell him that I dont have the time to drop it off and will drive it for a while to see if it gets better. It did get a little better but I was still not happy with it because it was missing at part throttle so I decide to drop it off on a thur. and pick it up on Mon since I had the day off. He calls me on Sat and he sounds nervous, at first I thought he crashed my car! He tells me that there is something wrong with my tranny that it was grinding and it stuck into first. I tell him that it was like new when I dropped it off and that he must have missed a gear or was really beating on it (power shifting). He tells me no and in fact he did not get it over 3k rpm. He tells me he thinks it is driveable and he wanted to know what I wanted him to do?!? I guess he was on the side of the road. I told him to take it back to the shop if he thought it was OK.
I call him back and appoligized to him that I blew up on him and asked
him if he made it back OK. He said it felt fine now and maybe the clutch
fluid just heated up and was not disengaging all the way. So on Monday
I pick it up and he wanted an extra $50 for the street tune and he ask
if I wanted to take it for a ride to see if it was OK or just head for
home. I told him my wife was with me and I have AAA if I had a problem
with it. He started changing his story that it really did not grind & he thought it was the clutch. (New Textralia). So on the way home and it starts grinding pretty bad and I knew right away it was not the clutch. When I got home I drain it and allot of liitle pieces of aluminum come out! The Tranny needs to be rebuilt! It going to cost me at lease 1K and probably the rest of the
racing season. I just wish he would own up to it! I have 40K on the
Tranny and it never grinded once not once then he drives it and its
toast. Come on! He said he had time to fix the tuning issues but it
feels the same to me. I did call him back to see if he could help me out with it and he immediately jumped on the defensive that he did nothing wrong. But the fact of the matter is that it broke when it was in his hands and he should do something to help me. I am not asking him to pay for the whole thing, just help out a little and treat me with some respect. I let a few days go by and called a freind to help me out. He told me that I should call Mike at New Era back to see if he changed his mind before I post.
I told him that I did not think he wanted to talk to me so he decided to call him and also got thye same responces & added that I called him up swearing at him which I did not do. I actually referred my freind to New Era for a Tune and he was happy with it. But I guess if something goes wrong he just wipes his hands. He thinks I drove my car over 1-1/2 hours away with a bad tranny just to set him up. Yeah right. Thanks allot Mike!

[/quote]

But you do admit you are making near 600 rwhp on a bone stock T56, right, and it has 40k miles on it. It sucks man, but… you have to know it is going to go at some point. New Era doesn’t really have any unhappy customers, so that alone speaks for the quality of their work. It is an unfortunate thing, but signing up for every site you can to badmouth a shop is pretty … well, you know.

–mark

Almost 600 whp and a stock trans with 40k that gets raced all the time. Can’t believe something let go. Maybe he skunked it, but it sounds a lot more likely that it was just time for a trans rebuild and he was the unlucky one behind the wheel when it let go. Your racing season was probably over after your next run anyway because it would have let go then.