Who are some good car dealers in wny??

I know this is a odd question but where are some good place to buy cars. my mom is looking to get a new one. oh an dby the way it has to be used. also ive heard of this website where you take over other peoples car payments??? does anyone know of that??

thanks

Don Davis Honda…excellent service. Great prices.

cool thanks

so your mom wants to buy a new car, but it has to be a used car?

Private party is the way to go for used cars. Stealerships survive on the model of buy low, sell high for used cars. You’re better off buying low directly from the seller. And for taking over other people’s payments, the only thing I know of for that is for lease payments. There’s www.swapalease.com and www.leasetrader.com

Depends on what you’re buying. For plain daily drivers the really good ones usually don’t show up for private sale because the people who got rid of them wanted the tax savings of trading in.

Great example was the 6k mile old 2007 CRV I found for my mom. You don’t find 6k mile cars being listed private sale unless they’re Vettes or some other “toy” that was barely driven.

Now if you’re looking at 50k+ mile cars then yeah, private sale all the way. I’d never buy a 50k+ mile car for a DD though, and certainly wouldn’t recommend one for my mom.

Does your mom take her car to a private mechanic for service (recommended), or have everything done at the dealer (recommended if you like financial anal raping)? If the dealer it’s worth paying a little premium to buy local just to build the relationship. A lot of places are quick to give out loaners to valued customers who come in for service, while the “buy somewhere else but get service here” guy gets to wait for the shuttle.

Wouldn’t reccomend a 50+k mile car for a DD? Yeah, you’ve definitely been burned by domestics.

As dd’s I’ve owned:
A Toyota,
A Geo built by Suzuki,
A Geo built by Toyota,
Two Fords,
and my Pontiac.

I still don’t recommend driving old cars as DD’s, especially to people that don’t do any service themselves. It does matter where it was made shit starts to wear out. A 50k mile car averaging 15k a year is going to require a bit of service inside the typical 4-5 year loan most people on here take.

yeah things break, however, the cost savings can usually outweigh the occasional maintenance costs. Keep it for 4 years, and dump it right before it needs its 100k maintenance.

Idunno, you can get some great deals on cars in the 50k mile range.

Dealers aren’t all that bad. There are a lot of people who purchased cars 1-2 years ago at close to full price that want to still get money for their used cars, while dealers can purchase cars at auctions for the going rate.

You can buy some used trucks from dealers cheaper then private party. Learn what type of car you want first, then research prices and go from there.

I’m going to look at a truck today that is 2500 under KBB value (for private sale) at a dealer FYI.

anywhere but ray laks honda

West Herr Ford in OP was good to me. However, I had cash on the table, a fair offer on my trade, and knew what I was buying. They pretty much won’t argue with you when that is the case.

Quick Note: I am judging this info based on your Mom having you investigate as she might not konw the best way to buy a “NEW” car please do not take offense if you have different tactics, everyone does. I know even after owning 5 vechicles personally and helping out more people than I care to look for/close deals that it can get out of hand quick. Not sure if this helps but it might. Again, this is what I do. It may not be “RIGHT” to some but it works.

If she is unsure what she wants she should get an idea first and then look around. For instance if she wants a four door sedan versus SUV. Then find a price range and figure out what is affordable to her either to buy out right or finance. Before she even steps on a car lot she should have maximum down payment in hand (Say 3,000), title of trade if that is the case, idea of what she wants for trade, and most importantly a mental list of what she wants for a vechicle.

These days the best place to look for what is available is online for New cars. Figure out how far she is willing to drive to go look and start your search. If she is looking for a reliable deal a dealer may be the way to go. Personally, I have only owned 2 dealer vechicles for the mere fact to have piece of mind in my DD. My Ranger (Dealer Finance) I just purchased was an investment. My MR2 (Cash in hand swap to a stand up guy, 91MR2) is a planned Money pit :). If you can come up with a reasonable offer for a dealer before you even shake their hand then you will be satisfied and they probably won’t refuse.

This is what I did. 94 F-150 with ~150K was shitting the bed. Owned the truck for 3 years. Nothing wrong with the motor. I knew the truck was not worth much but you can usually get 500 - 1000 on any trade. I also knew I was not going to pay no 20K for a truck. FUCK THAT. So I narrowed my search. I looked at the smaller trucks (S-10, Ranger, and Tacoma). I didn’t have much info on any of them so this is where I drew the line. I wanted a V6, 5Spd, Ext Cab, 4x4 that was no more than 5 years old. That was it. Everything else I could care less about. Now I picked a price range. I make pretty good money and I don’t mind paying a little more for something nice. At the end of the day I want to spend no more than $250 a month on a payment. I am not a Money guru and I don’t claim to be. That was my means. Based off of that my price range was under the 15K mark.

I began looking online for every pick up under 15K. I forget what car search engine I used but google steered me there. I looked within 50 miles of where I was and got like 30 hits for a 6 cyl pickup under 5 years old for less than 15K. Jim Ball, West Herr, Fucillo, etc… and even some smaller dealers in the area. Wrote down prices, figured $1,000 on my trade and $2,000 down, and worked out my payment. I was in on three that I liked but the only one that was a 5 spd was the Ranger at West Herr. Called up, made an appointment, went home and grabbed the title/keys to the F-150, grabbed 3K, and went.

The Truck was perfect. Exactly what I wanted. I knew I was taking it home even without driving it, YET. Sat down with the Salesman. He asked me if I was Buying or Financing. I said: “Well, first off. I’m driving this truck home today. But, I need my payment to be under $250/month. How much do you need down?” He wrote figures down and we talked for about 15 minutes. I said I had 3K to put down and I wanted 1,000 on my truck for trade (If you remeber when I budgeted I originally said 2,000 down. This little trick gives you a window to look a little higher. With the additional 1,000 down it really helps your payment plan. So, budget for $X,XXX as a down payment but actually put $X,XXX+$1,000 down if you can swing it.) then I placed the F-150s title on his desk and set the keys on top.

The salesman gave me the keys and told me to take it for a test drive. I gave him the keys to my F-150 so he could look at it. When I came back he was in his bosses office with the door closed. 10 minutes passed. He walked out and said “Well, I’m going to give you an early Christmas present. I’ll give you the $1,000 for your Truck. You know it is not worth it though, right?” It certainly was not.

To make a Long story even longer; fuck bear with me…sorry, I was in an out of the dealer in less than 2 hours. I put 3K down, got 1K for my trade, and walked out with a payment of $248 which includes a hell of a warranty.

If you plan on working with a dealer. Keep the upper hand and You will not get screwed. For those that do get screwed chalk it up to hesitation, impatience, haste, and lack of knowledge on the deal.

My $.02. Goodluck. Sorry for the Report.

Basil of wellsville, or West Seneca.

Go see Dave Basil

I can think of a few good dealers :wave:

(I’m David Basil btw)