Who runs OSX86 nativly on their PC?

Anyone? I’m having a few issues installing leopard. Had 10.4 and 10.5 running in a VM, and 10.4 installed natively… but having problems with 10.5.

I do

what is your setup?

DFI Bloodiron P35-T2RL (supposed to work OOTB)
Core2Quad Q6600
8800 GT 512mb
2 IDE DVD-RW’s
1 SATA Blueray/dvd rw
1 SATA WD Caviar 300Gb HDD (for OS)

everything else is onboard or unplugged.

I got it installed last night, but when I tried booting into OS 10.5, it would get to a point and give me the “waiting for root device” error over and over again.

The release I used was iatkos 10.5.4 (for intel chipsets). I was just reading about PC EFI and don’t think it was ever installed (at least not that it told me). Do I need this? Or is it just a different way of installing it?

I gotta admit that I’m a super noob to apple file systems, so this is making me want to bash my skull in with a hammer

would I be better with Kalway or a vanilla leopard install DVD? (or Jas? Pretty sure the Tiger DVD is a Jas disc)

I used Kalway 10.5.2, and I highly recommend it.

just click customize when it comes to that point in the install, and choose any patches you might need or want.

I still have the ISO too.

hmmm… you live in the area? or nc?

So I assume it was pretty straight forward? What type of HDD are you using? IDE?

sata hard drive
sata dvd burner
intel 950 GMA graphics
pentium D
ASRock Mobo(forgot model)

I built it to be mac compatible

It was VERY straight forward. Just click on the customize button. There are sound and graphics patches there. Although, you MIGHT have issues with 4 cores. Might need a custom boot up to start only 2 cores. That is the only issue I would forsee.

awesome man, thanks for the help. I’ll try that distro

I’ll post back later (hopefully from osx lol)

Do you dual boot into vista/xp? I have a seperate physical drive for xp/vista that I was just going to swap the sata cable to boot, but if there is an easier way, lmk.

+karma
Edit: can’t give you karma it says, will get you later lol

I am moving over into iPhone development. Would this run on a 64 bit amd desktop with 1gb ram and IDE drives or do you really need to mirror a mac?

Don’t get hacked :lol:

Post up if you come across any useful info I am going to try this on a AMD this weekend.

sse2? There is support for that

There is a patch on the Kalway disc for doing that. You have to hit the cusomize button when you do the install

ughh, When i was running 10.4 I was dual booting. It was a pain in the ass. What I ended up doing was running the OS X installer first and creating a partition for it. Then I went through the windows installer and used the rest of the free space and installed windows there. Then I switched back to OS X and ran the install on the previously formatted partition.

The Darwin Boot Loader picked up the Windows install and all was good. I tried it every which way, and that was the only thing that I could get to work out.

see response to LZ

Tried it a few more times w/ different configs and still have problems. I’m thinking due to wrong/missing Sata driver. Trying Kalway.

will post results

Ive tried a few different versions of 10.5.1 installer, and the kalaway worked flawlessly, even had a patch for my P5K that apparently is the reason why it worked and none others did.

But… The most important part is the config’s. You MUST make sure the drivers you are installing are correct, it WILL NOT WORK unless you pick the right ones.

well, it it’s on a DVD now, will try installing it later this evening.

the Kalway dvd has so many available patches that if it does not work with some combination, you should just give up and go back to XP-land

lol I’m almost positive that It will be the solution to the problems I’m having. According to the iATKOS website, if you have the constant “waiting for root device” error, they tell you to boot the Kalway DVD and see what driver it’s loading for your SATA config, then copy that over to install before booting into the OS.

I’m just going to use the Kalway from scratch though… hear it has more features anyway.

cool, got it installed last night. It works flawlessly (was able to use the vanilla kernel).

Even found my Tablet connected to the PC. Now I just need to build a dedicated Hackentosh rig so I don’t need to keep swaping SATA cables lol

edit: actually, I wonder if I can shut individual channels off though the bios to keep it a little friendlier

ok, was able to just switch the primary boot disk in the bios, so I guess it’s kind of like a boot loader.

Dumb question, now it’s showing my windows partitions on the desktop of os, is there a way that I can either hide them or hide that channel all together? I’d rather not have windows see OS and vice versa just in case something bad happens in either os.

oh BTW, if you plan on buying a mac/mac pro desktop I would highly suggest considering building your own and throwing osx on it if you want to save some money. My basic xbench score is @ 179.07 which doesn’t seem too shabby at all (better than the average score).

Only downside so far is the keyboard layout isn’t correct

Bump for more info.

Looking to test this out on my Core 2 Duo

Its very simple if you pick the right patches during install. I think you just need the vanilla + boot EFI and you should be running on most comps.

Download kalaway 10.5.2 and try it out on a spare drive if you have one.