mac experts. question about updating my mac os x 10.4.11 to something newer

i have an older mac book that is running 10.4.11 core duo. after some googling i read that i could install snow leopard 10.5. is this true?

i think as long as its intel and not a powerbook it supports snow Leo.

I am still running Snow on my MacBook Air. I personally don’t see a point to update to Lion yet.

Snow Leopard is 10.6.

10.4 is ancient, and not supported. 10.6 is the latest OS X version compatible with your hardware, and would be a recommended update.

That said, I’m surprised a 5 year old MacBook is still tolerated today. They weren’t that great new…

I was going to but Lion is all sorts of broken.

Stick to snow leopard. 10.6 is fully compatible with intel hardware, no issue there. Lion has done weird shit to 2 batteries that were previously working fine for me in my MBP. I’m on Lion as I type this and have had some weird SW compatibility issues with Lion at work too. 10.6 for you! :slight_smile:

i love my mac book. ive never had any problems. ive replaced the battery once and only had it crash once cause i was lazy on the updates. but with 10.4 i cant upgrade anything (flash player, i-tunes, quicktime or any software in general). looks like ill be getting snow leopard tonight!

Don’t buy snow leopard just download it

I’m in the same boat. Would my 5 year old MBP run a lot smoother on 10.6? As far as downloading goes, wanna point me in the right direction?

Because paying 30 dollars for a operating system is really that hard. Seriously warezing a OS is just silly.

Snow Kitty will work fine a older Core Duo Mac, though 4gb of ram is preferably.

I don’t trust warez OS generally speaking. Of course if I didn’t have alternate sources I may be forced to look down that path. LOL

You could just compare the MD5 sum of a known good ISO/DMG to what you download :wink:

This, but if Win 7 was $30 I would definitely buy it hands down. If I “obtain” an OS, I always go with the untouched OSs.

My point was to test it first to make sure you enjoy the os before you go and buy it

OS X Torrents tend to be reliable and unmodified.

It’s not like windows, where you need to then deal with the questionable ‘hacktivation’ methods.
The chances you get a identical copy to the OEM disc are exceedingly high, should you choose to torrent it.

However, $29 is entirely reasonable.

just bought it. not risking any any bullshit torrent!

30 bucks is hella cheap, I figured it was like over 100 or some crap like windows software. I only have 1 gig of ram tho, is upgrading to more ram really necessary and whats the max I can upgrade? Might as well max it out.

Nope, Apple isn’t a software company.

Apple knows you have already bought their hardware and they unlike other computer makers have decent margins on their hardware. With Windows you can run it on damn near ANY computer, including current macs. Since margins are so low on PC hardware they feel they need to get their money back via the OS. It’s actually a stupid business model IMO. They focus so much on keeping hardware costs down that the quality of the build suffers.

From your computer go to www.crucial.com and run the memory scanner it will tell you how much you can put in and what memory you need and hell you could buy the memory right from them their prices are the same as newegg.com. Also in simple term ram is random acess memory it’s a quick storage for applications so when you open a application it uses the memory and when you close it the memory is free again the more the memory the faster and smoother the os and applications run (I put that in dummy terms lol)