mac experts. question about updating my mac os x 10.4.11 to something newer

Thanks for that awesome link, might as well upgrade my tuning laptop as well as it runs pretty damn slow sometimes. And I know what ram is haha.

No problem and I thought that was your question, don’t mind me I’m a smart retard

Having enough RAM is absolutely critical to a computers operation. If you only have 1GB, it might be older DDR2 RAM which tends to be more expensive. For newer machines, you can get 2x4GB of DDR3 for about $30 shipped.

Determine what your machine can handle, and load it up. 1GB might be ‘OK’ for XP with little use, but 4GB is absolutely required for newer OS’s, 8 or 16 is even better.

Boo, the MBP can only handle 2 gigs, one in each slot and that’s the DDR2. The same thing goes for the dell but it’s DDR and it costs $42 Where the DDR2 is more like $15

8gigs of ddr3 for laptops and desktops run about $50 all day shipped

I doubt that. What is the serial number on it? I can lookup what macbook pro it is specifically and give you a different answer I suspect.

Probably 4 or 8 gigs I’m guessing unless it’s a OLD one, I was trying to make it easy for him

I keep forgeting about this. It’s a 2.16ghz dual core hard drive. It has a webcam built in if that helps, It was from when they first started putting them in the macs ha. I am not home right now, the mac never leaves the house now that I have something I’m not afraid of breaking dropping or lousing.

I’m assuming its a late 2006 Core Duo machine. 2GB is the max on those models. Honestly, the RAM should be the least of your worries with that machine. Find some cheap stuff if you plan on keeping the machine a while longer. It’s not going to make it slower, but the impact might not be very noticeable.

meh, 15 dollars seems pretty cheap lol

Didn’t feel like starting a new topic as this question may be considered by others doing the same as the op.

I’m looking into external hard drives to store pics music and video and other documents before I switch to 10.6. I want to completely wipe everything on this computer. My Hard drive is only 100GB’s so freeing up some space is crucial seeing as I only have about 10gigs free right now. Should I be looking into one that supports firewire or just stick to usb? I never delt with firewire but From what I understand it’s much faster and 80gigs seems like it would take a long time to transport by USB. I never had to, so I wouldn’t know.

Any suggestions would be great as well. I’m only looking to spend around $50

Firewire, hands down. The speed is superior. Most drives have both and I would ensure the external has both ports for cross platform capability etc…
If none of your files are larger than 4gb format as Fat32, again for cross platform capability.

meh, USB 2.0 isn’t THAT slow and 80GB isn’t all that much data…If you had a terabyte, that’s another story.

Firewire 400 tends to be a touch slower on very large files, but it should perform a touch better on small files. They are both slow, so I would pick USB 2.0 over firewire 400 for compatibility reasons. Firewire 800 is still supported on newer Apple hardware, and is definitely notably faster than USB 2.0, but the enclosures tend to be significantly more costly. The best way to go would be to get an eSata card for the express card 34 slot, since I do not believe your machine even has firewire 800. eSata cards tend to be really cheap, and the enclosures are damn cheap as well, since they are just a USB powered box with no chipset. That will be substantially faster than any other option, and damn near the speed of the internal SATA interface. But, it is a bit of a bulky solution that requires two cables and an adaptor.

Another, probably superior option, is some sort of NAS. Gigabit ethernet is snappy for most file transfers, but if you don’t have a machine running 24/7 already, you need to buy a often pricey NAS drive. It really depends on how you plan to use it. This solution would be less portable.

I should have elaborated…Firewire 800. Good addition guys.
Hell USB 2.0 is fast enough for most people and you can get a portable drive even. I noticed today that due to the destruction of drive plants the cost of storage is WAYYYY high. Like 3x what I paid a few months ago. Wild.

I’ll look into it later when I have more time and not running late for work lol. I found this and it has good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Rugged-Portable-Drive-FireWire/dp/B000YAX3JG/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321909380&sr=1-9

Discuss

I looked it up, mine is firewire 400 None of my files are to big, maybe a few movies that are around a few gigs.

$75 Used for 250GB?

LOL

Dude, just go plain old USB 2.0. Simple, plenty of space, fast enough.

Portable USB drives can be purchased for about $30-40 in the 320-500 GB range. Look out for some deals, but anything over $50 is a ripoff unless its a 1TB portable 2.5".

the cost of drives went up because their is a short in making them, i can’t find the article, but i noticed it a while ago and was like wtf, then did some research and was like go figure lol, kinda pissed cause i was going to pic up a few drives myslef. my friend also was annoyed because he just got a drobo fs and was hoping to stuff it with all 3tb drives

It’s from the floods in Thailand…It’s fucking up all our HP shipments as well.