Mac crew: school me on a mac book

Well i have had it with PC’s

I know several people with mac computers and they have nothing but good things to say, so either they are brainwashed by mac propaganda or they ARE that good. I am looking to pick up a macbook for school/home. Nothing crazy. Anyone want to give me some pointers/tips before i buy? Keep in mind i am not tech savvy, i drive an f body, still use a flip phone and sport a mullet.

Lmfao

You sir, sound perfect for a Hp Compaq.

Buy it. Once you figure out how to work them, They are great. I have had 0 issues with my mac book pro.

I’ll give you my honest opinion Jim I prefer pcs over Mac but since I kno you do alot of video editing I would just get a MacBook air and call it a day get it with at least 8gig ram ddr3 and obvs a larger hard drive like 500gig, CPU should be a dual core or quad core and there you go, all in all macs are OK computers but te thing that bothers me is they charge a Arm and a leg for the hardware when you can build and get hardware they use in the Mac for a fraction of a cost, hey what do I kno drive a dsm and am fat and have a iPhone4

I really enjoy the way they are set up to be honest. I have had nothing but PC’s up until now. Any mac specific program blows its windows counterpart out of the water IMO. I appreciate the advice though.

You will instantly be more hip

Love my Mac <3

Beware

Once you own a mac you will have an internal desire to wear skinny jeans and listen to the latest indie tunes.
<3

ahhhhh SHIT

Its ok man. I can help you with the tunes. I have still not figured out how them tight jeans work though. They probably come with instructions or something.

i wouldnt get the macbook air. it’s a great machine, but not as a primary.

get a macbook pro…they are great machines. pretty cut and dry as far as “schooling” someone on them. There aren’t too many options.

check out the engadget reviews…probably more thorough information than you’ll get here

God you’re gonna need a VW now :frowning:

Lmfao that’s funny

I do like macs alot and I do agree there software is more reliable then Microsoft, Jim make sure you upgrade the memory to the max and get good size hard drive it will save you money in the long run and macs are a pita to take apart so spend a few extra bucks and upgrade what you can and don’t forget to get the schwastica (spelled that wrong) engraved into the top lol

Apple recently made the decision easier by dumping the crappy MacBook. My Recommendation is 11" MBA if you can handle a small screen and want extreme portability. The 13" MBA is better for a desktop replacement, but of course slightly larger. All MBA models have a SSD stock, and will be faster in everyday use over any MBP without an SSD. They are priced very well, have great quality displays, and the same full size keyboard thats backlight.

Don’t get old or used machines, get the current gen, they’re quite a bit superior.

If you want to go for a MBP, I would stay away from the 13". The specs are mediocre, as is the display. The 15" should be a minimum on the MBP, and the 17" is absolutely superior in quite a few ways aside from performance. If you get a MBP, make sure to get the Anti-Glare display, and the High-Res Anti-Glare on the 15" model. Don’t buy a MBP with a glass glare-type display.

Basically…

1. 13" MBA, base config is fine.
  2. 17" MBP, Anti-Glare

Those are your options if you want Apple hardware.
Its very unlikely you will regret spending the money on it.

I second the opinion to skip the 13" MVP, actually

Good point I forgot about this platform that apple put out I still think your paying a arm and a leg for overpriced hardware that you can get for half the price but I guess that’s how apple is

This is all i came here to post. And now I’ll add, I cant see spending 2-3x the money on a computer that I’m likely going to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway. But w/e, to each their own.

That’s why people build computers So the can upgrade down the road, but the problem everyone faces is technology changes everyday