Mac advice...

Ok So all you Mac people I need your input.

I am so sick of my PC’s (laptop & desktop) that I have finally decided it is time for a mac. What would you recommend? Mac book, Pro, desktop?

I’m not a “tech-y” person…mainly just use my shit for music and facebook/forums…

Help! :slight_smile:

Mac IS a PC.

Mac IS crap.

Why are you sick of PC’s? Unless you’re an artist/designer of some sort, Mac’s are useless. Sure they look nice and the OS is kinda cool (when it comes to how pictures appear, etc.) but Windows 7 isn’t exactly a bad looking OS and it runs pretty damn good. I’ve had it for 3 months and haven’t had any blue screens of death, etc.

The reason why Mac’s don’t get hit with virus’ is because most of the market is owned by PC, hence virus makers attack them more since they can do more damage.

Do the following and you’ll be issue free:

• Keep your hardware drivers up to date
  • Run CCleaner and Spybot at least once a month to keep the computer clean
  • Use a good free Anti-Virus like Avira AntiVir Personal Edition (or other) to keep yourself clean as well.
  • Get all of the latest OS updates
  • Profit

I do those and my computers never have issues. Even with my dad reading his Ukrainian news on sites that probably do have some sort of malware. If you need training, I or someone else can help with that. We have an official IT questions thread if you wanna post in there with your issue(s).

What is making you sick of PC’s?

edit- ILIIAIYY beat me to it

How so?

Other than 3rd party software/games macs are great, clean, simple etc…

Plus the design in most machines ive seen is excellent.

I currently have a MacBook. I haven’t had any issues with it and I’ve had it for 3 years. The MacBook Pro is a more advanced version of the MacBook, it has a couple different programs on it and it runs on i believe Leopard. The MacBook Air its really tiny and you have to buy a bunch of external shit because it’s so tiny that it doesn’t even have a CD drive. Personally, I don’t think the Air is worth the money. As for the desktop, I’ve worked on them and they work fine, but the question is, is do you want the computer to be portable or not? I think the laptop is the best choice, simply because you can take it anywhere. Hope that helps :tongue

snow lepoard running on a mac is 23478237298342 better than windows 7 on a PC. I have both since I have quickbooks running on PC.

Given that I do design/coding/video work, the mac was obvious in my case, but I use a macbook pro for home as well.

Only downside, IMO, is the lack of games on the mac.

:+1 Mac’s are awesome for doing graphics, it’s what they’re most well-known for. I’m a graphic designer so I use my programs often. It’s much easier (for me) to use.

Plus the file structure and indexing in mac > *

so much easier to find files and lines within files

Havent found a program in windows that works as clean and efficient

People just get frustrated by PC’s because they don’t know how to keep them running properly. If you never clean it up, of course it will start to break down on you.

I’ve watched my cousin use his Mac and yeah they do some things better/cooler…but both Mac’s and PC’s have their pro’s and con’s.

Click start on Windows 7 and start typing. Done.

1000000000000000000000000%

The ridiculous price?

The reality is that the majority of people use a machine for email and browsing.

LOL windows searching is nothing even close to mac’s

not hating on windows at all… I’d use windows over mac anyday for the simple fact that it runs good when properly maintained and runs everything i need it to.

I like a mouse with 3 or more buttons, thank you.

I don’t see any need for a Mac unless your into video editing, graphic design, etc.

I was at the mall yesterday in the Mac Store picking up an adaptor for my I-pod and I couldn’t believe the ridiculous price tags on that stuff and the amount of people that surround the monitors in there.

The mouse is what gets me too.

I don’t claim to know a lot about Mac’s. I personally will not service them when co-workers bring me their personal PC’s. But from what I have seen, yes, Mac looks sweet. I really like how the music/pictures work on Mac’s (sitting with my cousin lookin at pics when he came up from VA). However, I think a lot of people are so into Mac’s because it’s a fad thing. Much like the iPhone. Having an apple product is “cool”. Even when there are competitors out there that have better products or very similar products.

I’ve said that many times before. I see a lot of Fanboi’ism when it comes to apple products. Could I be labled a PC fanboi? Sure. But I really have no choice, as that’s how I make my living. If I was in the business of fixing Mac’s, I’d be broke. :rofl

LOL even mac people and everyone alike says mac has never made a good mouse, all of them are uncomfortable, clunky etc…

and steve you can plug any USB mouse into a MAC and it will work, and the RMB will work as a RMB :tongue

I’d be more willing to accept MAC if the price tags weren’t rape.

RMB? Rotating Middle Button? :lol