Bought a macbook pro... suggestions?

SO I bit the bullet, My Ibook g4 was good and for being over 2 years it worked awesome, but I’m on the road a lot and I enjoy playing strategy games (dork!) like sim city and the sims, and the Ibook wasn’t cutting it.
I dropped $2500 on a new 15.4" macbook pro with the 2.4ghz system. It runs my games awesome!

What upgrades should I do to it? As in free upgrades I can download from the web. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I am not the smartest with computers so bear with me.

Basically, I am just asking for some tips and some good programs I can use!

I would get the free application “insomnia” it allows you to control when the laptop goes to sleep.

I have mine set to stay active if I close the lid when it’s plugged into power but sleep when closed and not plugged in.

caffeine is a nice app, it stops the backlight from shutting off…say when youre watching a movie or something like that.

MEMORY. 2gig at the very least.

ohh and istat menu is nice too, its a really nice customizable set of system monitors that sits in the menu bar.

Coconut battery to keep an eye on your battery in the first year (1st year applecare is free = free battery replacement if your’s goes fubar)

Adium for AIM.
InsomniaX is a must.

NZBDrop if you do newsgroups.

Depending on if you torrent and what your sites allow:
Azureus 2.5
Transmission.

VLC for any videos

iStat (widget) for hardware stats

Kismac I heard is great to pick up hot spots, however, I haven’t used it effectively yet.

And the standard CS3/Lightroom for image editing.

Of course coming from a Mac I am sure you use most of them anyways.

VMware? :lol:

damnit lol beat me to it, bastard

but no real clue personally, I just use what comes with OS… good replies though :tup:

You should have waited for the new Mac Book pro to come out in around 4 weeks. It is going to have the new multi touch touchpad and upgraded processors.

MenuMeters is a nice little app the displays your CPU, memory, network, and disk usage up in the menu bar.

Little Snitch is a handy firewall but isn’t free.

PithHelmet is good ad blocking software for Safari unless you use Firefox.

I disliked Little Snitch, but have yet to find a diff program to keep pirated software from phoning home.

I agree but it beats writing your own firewall scripts.

Meh, I didn’t hear about any new macbook pro and I’m sure the new ones will be over 3 grand.

Rumors…But a good bet as well. They usually upgrade things in batches.

Strip OSX off it and put on vista. Its clearly the superior operating system

you’re already in the midst of this fight…Why are you trying to start another one?

Vista is better that it all

more-on

its not my fault OSX sucks

lol :drama2:

lol srsly way too easy to get the mac dick suckers spooled up

I can easily say, that I am not the smartest computer person out there…but as for having a mac and a pc…the mac after 2 years runs like it’s brand new…my pc on the other hand, I had to take it to a computer repair shop twice to keep it working