Whos says autos can't make good power?

Well recently 2 automatic people wanted to purchase our turbo kits, so we made an auto kit for the Scion tC and we revised the Honda Civic D17 kit to fit both cars…We provided the entire receipe for power and let them run. Low and behold, they made some quite respectable gains on small boost (both on 5 PSI).

Let’s start with the D17 guy…Baseline numbers were 90whp & 90 wtq.

End result: 164whp & 142wtq @ 5 PSI. Not friggin bad at all for 5 lbs. That is over an 80% gain in HP and over a 57% gain in TQ to the wheels.

The Scion tC guy…Baseline numbers were 120whp & 125wtq

End result: 227whp & ?? TQ @ 5 PSI because we could not get the TQ figure on the dyno to pull out a reading because of the RPM issue. We are heading back for the TQ value in a week or 2.

Needless to say, both were done with just bolting on our turbo systems. No additives, no spray, pump 91 gas, 5 PSI and lots of heat. When the tC was done, it was 105 degrees outside!!! Just figured I would share.

:tup:

Sry bout the no0call on that turbo kit for my buddies civic… he lost his job a couple months ago…

wow impressive :tup:

great work :tup:

Very nice. :tup:

Out of curiousity is it possible to build a automatic tranny to hold a decent amount of power?

You do realize a dyno measures torque directly and calculates the HP number based on the torque and acceleration

Depending what you mean by hold a decent amount of power, Autos or glides are much better for Strip Racing, and faster.

If you havent driven a “race ready” auto, you probably don’t think they can do well. But when you throw a powerful engine, higher stall convertor, firm shifting, and a transbrake into the ordeal…

Also, since the power is away less of the time, an auto drag car’s backend will get less squirelly on a shift, making easier to keep control of the car.

Autos can also let you build boost better on the starting line than a manual car, because you can put a load on the engine which is required to build up any boost.

Auto cars also are much much less strain on your pinion gear, because the parts are all loaded before getting hit with the power, as oppsed to the high shock load you get from dumping the clutch.

As for Stock Autos vs Stock Manuals, it also depends on how the gearing is set up. Most autos are not set up to shift during peak speed times, more for cruising. that is why a M6 Camaro will beat a Auto usually.

I know the advantages already and that wasn’t what I was asking, what I want to know is if it’s possible to build a honda automatic to hold about 300hpish at the crank.

The idea of boost off the line, and boost through gears would make it tempting, but it’s a very little traveled road when it comes to a honda.

Yes I know:
(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

However, we want to go back for the TQ figure and some free ‘glory pulls’ according to the owner. Can we say 8 & 10 PSI?

ummm…actually it’s more like a 37% hp gain and 14% gain in TQ to the wheels…

werd, how did it get a HP number without a TQ number?
im confused.

for gains like those, it looks like your using a fairly large turbo. i assume t3/t4 57 trim or larger.

explain? 90whp to 164whp is 74whp more, thats 16whp less than being double.

:word:

nice gains on the scion, I’m not impressed with the honda, but I normally ain’t anyway :tup:

I didn’t see the baseline was above…thought it was below…as per my quote

good job on the kits! I bet that made them quite happy.

Nope. Smaller in fact by quite a bit. The results lie in some nice little manifold techniques and NICE mandrel bent downpipes make quite a bit of difference.

The D17 is a T3/T4 but far smaller than a 57 trim.

The tC is a T3/T4B and far smaller than a 57 trim as well.

hyrbid running 7 psi = :tdown:

:bloated:

Elaborate?

i love that you never release the actual specs of the turbos :lol:

because those turbos are meant to move lots of air. your better off with a gt28rs or a 71, and a little more boost. the T3/T4 generally spools ssslllloooooooowowwwww, but it’s the “cool” turbo to use.

don’t get me wrong, those numbers are nice, but i have no love for the T3/T4.

I see that. I do because there are lots more possibility of different avenues of power levels and delivery. The spool is really not that bad, you just need to get the turbine A/R under control IMHO. That can be the trickiest.