Why are B6 a4's so cheap!?

I knew these things weren’t holding their value too well, but some of them are crazy cheap, even late b5 a4s sometimes pull a premium over early b6’s with similar mileage.

Is there something I dont know?

even more shit goes wrong than with the b5?

anybody have an idea?

because they are VAG cars and they are all broke…

http://www.thenile.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/haterade-logo.jpg

wow great responses…

Because at the LATEST a B6 is almost 5 years old.
They were released in 2002, and they have now changed body style twice.

I owned my B6 for 2 years and it dropped like a brick in value when B8 were slated for release.

I those 2 years, I replaced the TB and h2o pump, brakes, and regular oil changes.
The only things that “broke” were my fuel pump, and 1 wheel bearing in 25k miles of driving.
I sold it with about 92k miles on the vehicle.

After owning a B5 as well, there were no control arm bushing issues, no need to replace a steering rack, etc etc etc.

because after you drive a BMW, an audi just won’t do anymore. :slight_smile:

they’re getting old, they’re somewhat boring, slow, and unreliable.

Based on?

general observation based on friends who own(ed) both or either. The BMW tend to have lots of little annoying things that never strand you, and the audis tend to run great until they don’t, then it’s decent change to fix.

Right. Im going with one of your friends had a shitty experience with a VAG car that he got a “great deal” on.

Thus, your basis for saying that all of them are unreliable. 4 VAG cars later and I have never had an issue that was out of the ordinary with regards to mileage, etc. All cars need to be maintained, and I’m sure you understand (owning 2 BMWs and all) that parts for European vehicles aren’t cheap.

Because they all prob need $5k worth of maintnence to pass nysi

It’s true, all cars need to be maintained. But these cars will let you know if you don’t maintain them by breaking down. Cars such as old tegs or imprezas can be beat forever, never have oilchanges, etc and will still start and drive.

I think that if you’re part of any audi forum that you’d be aware that these cars are prone to problems. Hell, go on ecstuning.com and look at most any part description and read the phrase “the fix for the common problem…” It just sounds like you’ve been very lucky with your 4 cars.

not so much. Most are the 1st or 2nd owners and while the BMW people tend to get stupid little things, the audi owners blow turbos, coilpacks, all over the place even when under 50k.

If anything I’d say the audi propensity to include things like AWD and turbos just lead to more possible things to go wrong which often do go wrong.

Dammit I was just looking at a b5 for a reliable Daily…

I wouldn’t avoid an audi (if you’re looking for less of a driver’s experience), just be prepared to spend some coin even now and then. Same is true of BMW really, but I’ve just had better luck and also less to go wrong.

I bought this car, drove it 13k miles in 10 months with NO problems at all and I was able to sell it for what I paid. I would buy another properly maintained example in a heartbeat.

My Audis and BMWs have all been great working cars. Can’t go wrong, and both can take a beating when they’ve be miss-maintained from my experience.

I’ll shoot off the hip and say most of them had 2.7T S4?

AKA CEL4

:D, yeah in S4 + A6. More recently a friend’s A6 4.2 spun a rod bearing for no good reason.

Seems to me that most of the “bitching” comes from people who buy BMW’s and Audi’s with over 100k miles and for less than $10k. What do you expect a “performance”/“luxury” car to act like after miles upon miles of beating and poor maintenance?