Wifi range extender options/opinions

I have 2 of these in my house, and they work as advertised. No complaints at all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0YLRUW

Same here.

that is the mack daddy of routers, but dont take my word for it…

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-tolly-group-report-shows-linksys-tri-band-mu-mimo-router-is-the-best-performing-wi-fi-router-on-the-market-300310949.html

Results show the Linksys EA9500 is the fastest router on the market with incredible speeds up to 57% faster over other comparative Tri-Band MU-MIMO Routers from Asus®, Netgear® and TP-Link®.

@Geehee when the Linksys guy told CNET they streamed twenty 4K TVs on this router at the same time I knew that’s the one I needed, lol.

At any given time I have 15 devices connected to my network. My only complaint (and it’s not really MY complaint) is that the Linksys guest network requires a web browser for login. Some devices without web browsers like Roku have trouble connecting to it or can’t at all.

Have the same down in the basement works great

Yea man, that was at CES as well. Imagine how much interference was going on there? I have a picture of that in a slide somewhere…

on the guest network topic - what if you created a separate non-guest SSID for those devices?

The guest network is used by my tenants. I did a bit of searching and honestly can’t remember if I knew that was a option at the time. Do you think it’s something I should do and would it keep my home network essentially separate?

Depending on how my new router works out I’ll give one of these a shot if I want more range.

ive got an ea9500 sitting, waiting for me to use it. i spent way too long trying to bridge the stupid actiontec last week with no results and now i dont want to go near it. i’m probably going to just let it do its thing as a router and cascade the ea9500 to a more central place in y house and replace the older access point ive been using.

I say all this because i couldnt find any documentation on how many SSIDs you can have, so I’ll see if i can dig in and find out - if i get some time.

No problem I appreciate it.

I run an Apple Airport Extreme from a couple years back and have never had range issues inside or outside of the house, honestly. I keep the router on the first floor and work in a home office in the basement while still pulling over-advertised MBPS speeds. I’m sure the newer tech is even better. IMO not worth spending money on signal repeaters if you haven’t first spent the money on a good-to-great router altogether.

It’s a netgear wnr3500. So it’s older and not the most powerful for sure.

I have about 6000sf on one level under 1 roof. The house is shaped like an “h” with like 130-140’ between opposite corners.

Maybe I should just upgrade the router and see how that does. That ea9500 is a bit more conspicuous than my current router. Might have to put it in the attic.

Upgrade the router before trying extenders. Extenders cut throughput by 50%. You might be a candidate for a couple of access points with that much space - one at each end of the h is what I would do with no other details.

Just plug them into a POE+ switch and you dont need to run power.