Will a 215/45/17 fit on an 8" rim

I passed on the tires. Slapping my 245/45/17 snows on for one more season. I’ll get some new 225/50/17 snows before next winter.

JayS, i never knew u were VW’er…lol

[quote=“theblue,post:20,topic:38795"”]

to start with I would be concerned about your roll center if you have the car low enough that you can’t fit the wheels. But my other thought is that you’re running wheels that don’t really fit your car without modifications that you haven’t done. If your wheels were not as wide then you could probably run more tire (more traction). Yeah I know in the fast and furious world going as low as possible with as much camber as you can get is ideal… but there are limits and compromises that you have to balance to get a good overall setup. a stretched tire might feel like it delivers crisp turn in but it really lowers the overall traction on an already thin tire. Going to a softer compound (which is what I assume you’re talking about when you say “more aggressive”) won’t help you at all really. Also think about braking - when you brake 70%+ of the load is going onto the front tires which are skinny and unhappy already so they will hurt your braking distances by a lot. So in effect by going to a wheel that is too wide you’ve lowered your available traction at the front no matter how you look at it. might make the car more tail happy, but not really going to make you “faster”

[/quote]

thats pretty naive to say, considering alot of the guys on here run rims 17x7 +40 or whatever and run a 205 or 215 tire. besides when a tire is streched it rotates the shoulder giving you some increased contact patch.

yes, on a 7" rim 205-215 does make sense. 215 on a 9" rim does not.

the traction loss of a 215 on a 9" is due to the compromised sidewall which is under stress even when not loaded in a corner.

this is ghetto and unsafe… I don’t care how many jdm whores jump off the bridge in front of you, not a good idea.

[quote=“theblue,post:24,topic:38795"”]

this is ghetto and unsafe… I don’t care how many jdm whores jump off the bridge in front of you, not a good idea.

[/quote]

are you serious? when did I ever even hint to wanting to be “jdm tyte” or whatever? I ran wider tires than most last year and the SOLE reason im changing it up this year is so i can lower my car more than the 2" I get out of gr2’s/sportlines…

I went to 2/3 NYspeed track days this summer running a 225 pilot sport on the front with absolutly no ill effects, what makes you think that 10mm of difference will compromise my safety?

you’ve got the exact wheels I have (I have 255 NT01s) my tires offer no rim protection and are pretty much exactly vertical. You’re proposing removing 40mm tread from the top in comparison and that’s a pretty extreme difference. it’s not like you’ll be faster since you’ll have to brake sooner all over the place, if anything you should be going up in size. you’re also 2" lower then stock, probably without any sort of roll center correction kit so that’s already a mess and will only get worse and really encourage more body roll

and besides, wider front fenders (and spacers if needed) for your car are dirt cheap so why not do it the right way?