Will a 215/45/17 fit on an 8" rim

Found a great deal on some snows but I’m not sure if the tires will fit the rim. Stock tire size is 245/45/17.

*will

you can fit them on there, but they will look a little stretched. ideal size for an 8" rim is 225-255

[quote=“theblue,post:3,topic:38795"”]

you can fit them on there, but they will look a little stretched. ideal size for an 8" rim is 225-255

[/quote]

I drive like an asshole… a lot (hey, at least I admit it). So this probably isn’t good idea huh?

[quote=“JayS,post:4,topic:38795"”]

I drive like an asshole… a lot (hey, at least I admit it). So this probably isn’t good idea huh?

[/quote]

stretching snow tires a little bit is actually a good idea. i would snag them. They will be a lot lower sidewall, though…

[quote=“newman,post:5,topic:38795"”]

stretching snow tires a little bit is actually a good idea. i would snag them. They will be a lot lower sidewall, though…

[/quote]

Miata.net shows it’s only off 4.1% on the speedometer. 1.1" difference in diameter.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

what kind of snow tires are you getting on the goat? If I’m thinking of the right thing I saw pics of 215 hankook studded snows on a stock GTO rim on LS1GTO when i was researching last year.

[quote=“Joe,post:8,topic:38795"”]

what kind of snow tires are you getting on the goat? If I’m thinking of the right thing I saw pics of 215 hankook studded snows on a stock GTO rim on LS1GTO when i was researching last year.

[/quote]

Not sure yet. Right now I’ve got Viper’s old dunlop wintersport M2’s. They got me through last winter fine for the limited commute I have and would probably get me through this year as well. They’re a bit worn now and at 245 they’re a bit wide for a snow tire anyway. Just watching for a deal really because pretty much any snow will get me through the 2 mile drive to work I have. And if they won’t the car stays home and I just have to drop the wife off at work so I can steal her truck with the A/T Revos.

I have 225/50/17 Blizzak WS-50’s on my stockers. It’s too bad, 'cause I saw them for real cheap on TireRack or something a month ago.

you also should factor that this is a heavy car… I’d want more tire, 225 min.

im running 215/40’s on a 9 next season, it will definetly fit

[quote=“Jim1234664,post:12,topic:38795"”]

im running 215/40’s on a 9 next season, it will definetly fit

[/quote]

how come?

[quote=“theblue,post:11,topic:38795"”]

you also should factor that this is a heavy car… I’d want more tire, 225 min.

[/quote]

+1

[quote=“RobHimself,post:13,topic:38795"”]

how come?

[/quote]

tire/fender clearance now that I have coilovers and the car will be much lower

I would personally look for a 215/50/17 or a 215/55/17
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=155R7BZWS50&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

Then you would get a taller skinner tire. This will give you a little more ground clearance and a smaller footprint to “cut” threw the snow.

Remember how tire sizes work

First number is the width in MM a mm is friggen small 10 mm isn’t much larger…
Second number is the aspect ratio of sidewall height to width aka 50 is 50% of your width = your sidewall
Third is rim diameter in inches.

[quote=“Jim1234664,post:15,topic:38795"”]

tire/fender clearance now that I have coilovers and the car will be much lower

[/quote]

that can’t be the ideal way to go for several reasons.

They’ll fit. But if it’s for a GTO there’s no way any 215/45/17 tire will meet the needed load rating. 225/50 might be a good choice, but check the load ratings.

[quote=“theblue,post:17,topic:38795"”]

that can’t be the ideal way to go for several reasons.

[/quote]

why not? I ran 245’s in the back on a 9 last year (just about square) and there is no way they would fit inside my fenders if i were lower without running alot of negative camber, which I dont want.

this can be seen here: (already at -1.5* in the back)

This is the reason why im running a 235/40 rt-615 in the back.

As for the front. its a 225/45 on a 17x9+20, which as it sits, sticks out even further than the back, so im dropping down the size to a 215/40 and running a more agressive tire and a little camber. I also dont need my tires rubbing my coilovers or T/C rods at full lock, which could be a problem once im lower.

although im aware that no one on here cares about wheel fitment so I may as well be talking to myself. :blah:

to start with I would be concerned about your roll center if you have the car low enough that you can’t fit the wheels. But my other thought is that you’re running wheels that don’t really fit your car without modifications that you haven’t done. If your wheels were not as wide then you could probably run more tire (more traction). Yeah I know in the fast and furious world going as low as possible with as much camber as you can get is ideal… but there are limits and compromises that you have to balance to get a good overall setup. a stretched tire might feel like it delivers crisp turn in but it really lowers the overall traction on an already thin tire. Going to a softer compound (which is what I assume you’re talking about when you say “more aggressive”) won’t help you at all really. Also think about braking - when you brake 70%+ of the load is going onto the front tires which are skinny and unhappy already so they will hurt your braking distances by a lot. So in effect by going to a wheel that is too wide you’ve lowered your available traction at the front no matter how you look at it. might make the car more tail happy, but not really going to make you “faster”