Will it last?

I see that son is back up after a few days of “database error”. I’m hoping it will stay up this time? I know that it’s attributed to the all the changes going on, and therefore expected this, but I can’t have a real life forever. :banghead:
I’m still not sure what to think about the new setup; although I can appreciate brining the different communities together, it still doesn’t feel right… therefore I will continue to stick to member’s chat for the most part. What do you guys think, now that the new layout’s been (kinda) up for a little while? Feel any different?

i’ve been assured that it will hold but who knows.

As i understand it, the reason for the DB error was that a script was being run in the background in order to locate and import all of the user accounts that were lost in the transfer. A noble action.

People in the VB community gave solid feedback to the script, however, it turns out it was not meant for 4.0. As a result, it fucked things up and leaked elsewhere causing a mess that took a long time to figure out.

I give credit to our new hosting company that had more than one person devoting a great deal of personal time to locating the issue and working to stop it.

If we were hosted with an unaffiliated company we would still be offline… thankfully our contacts at the hosting company are former members of this broader community.

Josh and i will be working on a theme change and a couple lay-out changes to SON in the coming weeks. I agree that the current theme is more difficult to read than the previous one.

However, i am sure you will agree that figuring out the user account issues is a slightly higher priority.

It’s completely understandable that getting user accounts straightened out is priority one, especially over a theme change. I have no problem at all with that; I hope that in the end, this place will start to feel like more of a community again… there’s no doubt that there’s been a lot of instability and bad tastes in peoples’ mouths over the new change, but who knows. We might end up even stronger because of it. 'Til then, I’m keeping my chin up for SON.

Bing hit the nail on the head. I really asked a lot of a few key people this weekend, and they came through really strong. The end result is that I have more work to do to ensure that our fellow users accounts are correct and in place, but that is something that I am willing to dedicate as much time to as necessary. I can’t imagine trying to sign in to a community where I have been for years and being denied. Users are priority 1 then I will start to work with the direction that Bing gives me from all of your feedback to skin this place up and get the features that you have requested in place. (Including repairing the iTrader software!)

Mike

Glad to hear it Mike. :slight_smile:

can we get the old son back. this shit is uber gay

ok, but you go all the work… :slight_smile:

You’ll have to take a few days off.

Basically nothing is different except the skin. The old forum was going to look like this anyways with the new logo and the title banner.

As i mentioned elsewhere, there is only 1 nyspeed user who is posting on SON that didnt before… you guys are over reacting.

there should be more, there is nothing wrong with more people posting about cars at all

I don’t see what the fuss is over the font/colors…? It’s perfectly easy to read, just brighter if anything. That and everything’s bigger. But I don’t have a problem with that. People just don’t like change.

I hate the layout and “skin” and the titles are uber small. I have chinky eyes.

ill retract my previous statement. The new forum is growing on me only thing is the skin is too bright. It kills my eyes