Will PC flex?

I have a bar i need to bend about a half a degree… its been powder coated… do you think it will crack? or will it be ok?

a half a degree should be fine, more than that will probably crack

[quote=“66impalass,post:2,topic:36355"”]

a half a degree should be fine, more than that will probably crack

[/quote]

lol. how can you even answer this question?

I think pipe diameter plays a big part…
As does bend radius.

yea, its a 1" diameter pipe with .125 wall thickness…

bend currently is ~30-35 degrees would maybe need to add 1-2 degrees into it

i guess i should just try and see what happens

he said bar, I was assuming 1/2" bar stock, for 1/2 degree should be fine

whatever you bend it with is more likely to fuck up the finish than flexing the part.

Haha, assuming 1/2" bar? lol. :smiley:

oh shit, i guess i should be more clear… will teh POWDER coat crack… not the bar itself… i know the bar will be fine

i know exactly what you mean, but i’m saying that you should be more concerned with how you are going to bend a 1"ODX.125 wall tube without fucking up the finish. Are you using a tubing bender? Putting it in a vice? Etc.

Again, it also depends on the radius of the bend you are trying to make. If you’re attempting to make a zero inside radius bend, you can bet your ass it will crack on the outside radius.

The geometry of the whole part is important, not just the bend angle.

But honestly, just try it. If the bend radius is fairly large, i can’t imagine you will crack the finish.

[quote=“newman,post:8,topic:36355"”]

i know exactly what you mean, but i’m saying that you should be more concerned with how you are going to bend a 1"ODX.125 wall tube without fucking up the finish. Are you using a tubing bender? Putting it in a vice? Etc.

Again, it also depends on the radius of the bend you are trying to make. If you’re attempting to make a zero inside radius bend, you can bet your ass it will crack on the outside radius.

The geometry of the whole part is important, not just the bend angle.

But honestly, just try it. If the bend radius is fairly large, i can’t imagine you will crack the finish.

[/quote]

yea, i have a tubing bender…

here are pics… i got em all powdercoated and i guess my jig wasnt as perfect as i thought, ans some of them are SLIGHTLY off… whcih is lame so i gotta bend one side a couple degrees

you have an ugly bed spread

but if its the 1 degree over the whole length of the stock you will be fine, if its 1 degree in a 1" section you might have problem

[quote=“66impalass,post:10,topic:36355"”]

you have an ugly bed spread

but if its the 1 degree over the whole length of the stock you will be fine, if its 1 degree in a 1" section you might have problem

[/quote]

haha, thats my parents house, guest bedroom… the door is shut 95% of the time, but it matches the room well… but i agree with you that its ugly

Like newman was saying, the powder coating will prolly be OK at the bend. I’d be worried about the finish being messed up where the tube bender will be applying pressure to the bar.

[quote=“91CRXSI,post:12,topic:36355"”]

Like newman was saying, the powder coating will prolly be OK at the bend. I’d be worried about the finish being messed up where the tube bender will be applying pressure to the bar.

[/quote]

im gonna wrap it in a towel… its just a hydralic bender so it shouldnt be a problem

what are those for?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:14,topic:36355"”]

what are those for?

[/quote]

front strut bar for a tib based on this design…

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=185