Windows 7 Mouse / Keyboard Skipping

I’ve been looking this up for a few days and it seems like a common issue… anyone else have this problem or solve it? It happens randomly and I thought it might be correlated to how hard my system is working… but when I check my resources I’m not short on anything… not by a long shot. It will skip around the screen when no programs are open too.

I have a wireless laser mouse and the hardware is integrated into the motherboard like a laptop.

I’ve used multiple surfaces and the problem still exists.

The lens is clear of dust, etc.

Battery is new.

The mouse skips with “enhance pointer position” on and off.

I have not un-installed / re-installed the drivers yet, but that’s my next step I think.

I have a theme running which might cause a slowdown, but again I don’t see why when my system resources are far from being maxed out.

:gotme:

What brand wireless? I have a logitech and had the same issue. Updated graphics and mouse drivers and it’s 99.5% gone.

Upgrade your Microsoft intelli point mouse thing. That was messing mine up when they went to 8.0…8.2 seems fine now though.

The mouse that shipped with my computer is branded Sony so I’m not sure exactly who makes it to find an OEM driver. I’m going to do some research.

I don’t think I have intelli point… ?

check the hardware IDs and google it. You should be able to find the manufacturer that way. I had that issue with a Logitech G7 Wireless gaming mouse, where it would stop for maybe 2 seconds sometimes up to 5 and then start working. Needless to say it sucked playing Battlefield like that. I went back to corded and have no issues.

I can just uninstall the driver from the device manager then have windows find it again right? Or should I try to find drivers directly from the hardware manufacturer?

If you uninstall the mouse, then either “Scan for Hardware Changes” or just do a reboot, it should find the drivers again without a problem. But if the drivers are the issue then you’re back to square 1.

Some sites have said reinstalling the drivers will fix it so we’ll see.

Update: so I’m using this program to identify when the skipping occurs: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

And I’m getting some decent drop-outs. The problem is from here I can’t seem to find the driver causing it…

I had a Logitech Mouse that was doing this exact same thing. Tried everything mentioned including the latest updates from the website. Ended up returning it.

I can has the hardware IDs?

What graphics card?

The version of ATI’s Catalyst that was out earlier this year caused this problem as well, and upgrading to the newest version seemed to fix it for me.

Got a basic wired mouse you could plug and and see if the problem goes away? At least would help you narrow down the issue.

Also, I’ve never understood the need for a wireless mouse on a desktop. My wired optical mouse cord easily reaches the entire 1 square foot where the mouse operates on my desk.

If I knew where it was, lol. Here is the bottom of my mouse… Anatel is a Mexican company I think, lol;

NVIDIA. One strange thing is that I have the newest driver from NVIDIA, Windows Update doesn’t show that my driver is out of date, but there is a Sony update program that insists that the old driver is “newer” than the one I have. There might be something to this.

Nah, but from what people say it happens with wired mice too. And I’m a tad OCD so having a neat and clear desk with no wires makes a big difference, lol.

Device manager >> YOUR MOUSE >> Details >> Select Hardware IDs in the Property drop down, Right Click and copy the longest one. Should look something like this:

HID\VID_0557&PID_2213&MI_01

Have you run the VAIO update program yet and checked for updates?

Yep, ran VAIO update.

Now this is interesting… now I have 3 mice? lol;

(right click, view image to make it readable)

Alright so I haven’t had my primary PC for a while (Sorry to 1QuikZ and everyone waiting for me to update the drag / dyno threads) because I decided to just have Sony repair the thing under warranty. And thus far it’s been an interesting trip, lol. Sony has been very helpful and easy to reach, but they can’t seem to solve this!

Those who played Battlefield with me have listened to me complain about my mouse / keyboard skipping or dropping out.

Things that have been done:

1. Computer has been restored to factory spec by myself with built in recovery software.
  2. Computer has been restored to factory spec with a fresh re-imaging by Sony. (So if it’s a software problem, it’s certainly on their end.)
  3. Sony replaced my bluetooth / network combo card… because someone thought my mouse / keyboard were bluetooth when they’re actually RF.
  4. Sony replaced my RF module that controls the keyboard & mouse.
  5. Sony has sent me 3 mice, lol.
  6. Sony replaced my blueray player… not sure why.
  7. Sony replaced my entire screen… again, not sure why, lol.

After all these things the mouse / keyboard still skip. Here is a video of the problem: http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/vaioproblem.mp4

I’m sending the thing back to them again this week, but if any of you guys have any input I’d appreciate it. I’m able to function day-to-day without it but man do I miss working on a desktop / big screen, lol.

It sounds like a software problem on their end. Bad drivers or something. I’d just get a wired Keyboard and Mouse if everything else works. Go as far as you can with Sony, they might actually give you a newer model.

Yeah at this point I’d pay them if they want to upgrade my hardware. They do offer a few higher video card options now :slight_smile: