Windshield Repellent

Aquapel…
http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Aquapel/EN

Video
anyone ever use it? (Its from PPG, so its gotta be good :))
I seen a demo of it a few years back with a muddy water filled glass jar. watched the guy apply aquapel on the upper inside of the jar, then fill it with muddy water and shook the jar. and the bottom of the jam was completly covered, couldnt see thru it… but the upper part was COMPLETLY clear…

my girl has trouble driving in the rain. you cant buy aquapel in stores and I’ve only seen pepboys install it. but I can get it off ebay for good prices

looks no different than applying colenite wax and running a buffer over it. probably the same, figuring the stuff only lasts 6 months-ish. i.e. not permanant.

have you never noticed when you go to a self serve car wash, and when you put the final rinse/wax on the car–the windshield repells water like rain-x.

from what i seen in person this stuff looked better then rain-x.

easy to apply too. I can get 6 applications for around $12 on ebay

Rain-X works fine, especially after using a bar of Bon-Ami to clean the glass. I don’t even remember the last time I turned my wipers on. SigmaCote (dimethylsiloxane) does the exact same thing. It deposits a microscopically thin, highly hydrophobic layer on glass. Lots if ways to do that chemically.

dont waste your money on that shit we sell it at my work(got to try it) and i even got a free sample when i first got my si (from some guy who worked for ppg and said it was the best stuff made) it sucked it caused everything to streak so bad i hated it

I actually worked for the PPG glass technology center as a temp about a year ago and did a lot of testing and R&D with the aquapel line. Is it better than rain-x? By leaps and bounds! The stuff lasts so much longer. In fact, part of my testing involved testing against different elements. (UV, humidity, outside, wiper blades) and it held up for the equivalent of about 6 months for the most part. That was under the most severe conditions though. The rain-x did not hold up nearly as long. Now believe me, after working at PPG, I’m not exactly their friend, but trust me, the stuff works.

Be careful though. You don’t want to get this stuff on anything but the glass. Keep it off the paint and off the rubber if you can. Mask off the area before applying it.

As for the streaking, during the wipe off stage, you would normally use a paper towel. In research we found that more expensive “higher quality” paper towels have additives in them that cause the aquapel to leave streak marks behind. A cheap paper towel (maybe store brand) does not have these additives and left behind a clean surface on all glass I applied it to. Also, the glass needs to be very very clean before you apply it. After a normal wash, you need to wipe it down really well with isopropyl alcohol.

ya i been up to a couple technology centers they have and some of the stuff i seen i was amazed.

I normally use crinkled up newspaper to wipe the windows, works like a charm.
think i could use it to dry after aquapel?