Winter Storage (Tips and Tricks?)

The time has come soon for people to put away their cars for winter again (in the next month or so). Since there is no compilation of tips, I figured why not make a new thread so people can chime in. I know opinions on what people do are different from person to person, but I figure the more ideas the better.

Here’s what I’m doing to store the car this winter:

Change engine oil
Fogging oil in cylinders
Change coolant
Vacuum Interior and put bounce dryer sheets in it
Wash and wax entire car
Plug exhaust with steel wool
Put tarp on ground under car
Drive up onto 4, 2x4s
Good car cover
Disconnect battery and bring into house
Leave car in neutral with ebrake down
Overinflate tires
Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer

These are just some tips people have given me, anyone else care to add to it?

you pretty much got the right idea there. I just want to know what is the purpose of driving on top of the 2x4?? Also, I would leave the car in gear with no ebrake.

I was thinking driving onto the 2x4 so that your tires aren’t making contact with the concrete that can change temperature vastly from night to day, also wood is a lot softer than concrete so less chances of flat spots.

I was just going to park it… lol.

What car cover would you dudes recommend? I’ve heard there are some that damage the paint, etc.

does anyone know any spots for indoor storage need asap

These arent biasply tires flat spots dont really happen!

Id say some of those things are over doing it. Not storing a Ferrari lol. All I do is make sure I wash and wax it, full tank of gas, fuel stabilizer, and bring the battery inside.

Oil breaks down over time just as is does with Kms driven. To change it before storage to me is a waste since its best to change it after 8 months of sitting.

Imo I do my last oil change a month before when i think its time to store the car and then come spring i change it with fresh stuff. Everyone’s got their own opinions, i was told the chemicals in brand new syn oil sitting in your engine for a long period of time eats your gaskets and seals since it hasnt been broken down yet. Hence why you find your car dripping oil coming out of storage and it wasn’t when you put it away or at all the previous summer.

Also when i change oil i drain the oil from the pan and put the plug back in, fill the car with cheap oil and run it for 5 minutes then drain it again and change the filter. Fill with your good oil and GL trying to see the level of oil on your dipstick it will be so clear. I will never use engine flush unless its a beater and the oil is as viscus as peanut butter.

not true. i could feel the flat spots on my front 235/40r17 dunlops after sitting for a month or so. felt like “whumping” for the first few kms untill the tires worked themselves in.

i always wondered about storing a car on blocks…i wouldnt use 2x4s though…maybe a 2x6 so the entire contact patch of the tire is sitting ton the wood, not just the center…that would be just as damaging to the tire IMO

haha yes, well what i did. Didn’t think too much. battery out, cover. new oil blah blah when done storage.

Simoniz cover has done me well over 2 winters. Get the large one with a Jaguar on the cover of the box.

wash

put on drift spares

take out battery

run it on fuel stabilizer for 1/2 tank before i park it.

pull plastic sheet all over floor where i park it

leave car in neutrel and ebrake disengaged, use wheel chokes to hold car there.

DONE.

Then, mid winter, i sit in my car and make car noises and pretend im ripping it at shannonville. :slight_smile:

I can’t do any of that…

I’m ripping mine apart LOL

Lol i did the same thing last winter, much different then driving a malibu

^ plus your car always has that certain smell of speed and excitment in it that just makes you want to go lol.

If you guys have Styrofoam it’s another good choice to park on, avoids flat spots of course. been doing it for time