Wiper blades... what do you recommend?

I’ve had a set of Bosch Icon’s on the Expedition since spring and have loved them so far but I’ve heard a lot of complaints about them in the winter. The GTO is up for an inspection in Nov and I noticed one of the blades is starting to tear so I figured I’d ask what others are running and happy with.

I’m not a fan of the wrapped winter blades because I always have problems with them lifting off the window at highway speed.

I use the all one piece ones, forgot what they are called, but they mold to the window and are perfect in the winter as ice has nothing to build up on.

I’ve been less than impressed with the bosch icons and anco’s of the same design. Out of those two I like bosch but will try rainx brand next time.

I used the Bosch Icons thru last winter and had no problems with them. I also park my truck in the garage so I dont have to clean it off in the morning. But they lasted me about a year.

Yeah, both our vehicles are in the garage in the winter since I wrap the boat up and boot it from the garage to the side of the house so that does make a big difference. Any ice buildup you get tends to melt off each night just from the heat coming off two cooling cars (we get home from work within 15 minutes of each other).

I’ve been really happy with the factory blades on the GTO so I may just pick up another set of refills and reuse them.

Factory are probably Valeo, at least they are on GM SUVs, and trucks. I am not sure about cars…

i have the icons on my m3… they have fallen apart over 2 years… they still wipe great but the end of both has come undone and they now tend to chatter

any one piece blade + clean windshield + the orange rain x windshield fluid = no visibility problems ever.

thats because the silicon on the wipers have worn off after 2 years. lol. seems like you got a good run. BUT, I did watch a ‘how its made’ on wiper blades and they said the silicon is designed to last for 1 million wipes. I am sure thats on a clean windshield though (no salt, dirt, bird shit, dead bugs, etc).

:tup: jays, I’m working on my jeep build trying to get it done for winter, proper heat/ wiper blades/ washer fluid was on my to do list.

Once I make the decission, its on to remote start, fuck being cold.

i’d prob just get the oem inserts

I ran napa’s version of the icon on numerous cars in the winter and they were awesome. My new car came with a set of the rain-x wipers and they have been excellent for over a year now. The icon style are totally the way to go, I’ve never had a problem with them and the best part is they don’t get bent to shit when you accidentally hit them with your ice scraper.

I have used Bosch wipers on all of my cars for 10 years, but I’m never buying another one. I broke 2 off lightly bumping them with the snow brush this past winter- something that has never happened in all the years I’ve lived in Buffalo. That plastic was so brittle/flimsy it’s ridiculous.

been happy with the rain-x latitude, except one end cap came off when I was scraping ice off the windshield, so the blade tries to escape…small little piece of duck tape shoved in solved that though. Will have 2 years on them this winter. That rain-x de-icer fluid is awesome too.

Watch for a sale, seems there is always buy one get one or a rebate on the expensive wipers.

I have used Bosch Icons for about 3 years now. So…two winters. They have performed admirably in all conditions.

The only issue is I was a little too firm with smacking one to get the ice off of it (not typically a problem) and I bent it, causing part of it to not hit the windshield (probably a 2 cm length). This is my fault, clearly. I have left it on because it doesn’t really bother me. They wipe clean for the most part even after 3 years. Some streaks due to wear along the wiper’s edge, but no clattering, no cracking, no separation of the blade from the support. They will probably last another year.

I am actually 100% satisfied and the price premium is well worth it. Would buy again, and I don’t even know if I’ll have my car for another 3 years. :slight_smile:

The long life might be because I clean my wiper blades when I wash my car because, well, I’m OD.

i run the michelins on the TL. love em to death.

I love the performance of the Bosch Icons, I’ve been running them for 3 years (second set). The first set I bent like RG4L did - knocking the ice off by wacking them against the window - the year before last. The current set I used all last winter and they are stil fine now.
I just lifted them vertical whenever I was parking outside. No ice = no smacking = no bent blade.

https://www.khlubes.com/images/rainx_lat.jpg

Anything that looks like those will work great in the winter. I typically go mad cheap with windshield wiper fluid and keep surplus in the trunk. Does the expensive rainx fluid really work that much better? What about additives?

Eh, Anco Winter blades year round with Rain-X orange fluid… I barely use my wipers anyways… Rain-X FTW!!!

i use cheap fluid, and PIAA super silicon wipers

but i treated my windows with the Rain-X treatment. i don’t even have to use the wipers in rain.

wiper tip: spray some WD40 (or similar) into a folded paper towel and then rub the wiper blades with it. This really cleans wipers well and makes them last longer. I’m always amazed how much crap comes off, and how much better the wipers work after.