Wireless Router School

I have been curious about these wireless routers that have a higher data rate than 54Mbps, are they worth it? is one that has a rate of 300Mbps just ridiculous for home use?

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=145&name=Wireless-Routers

What is the difference between ,IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.3/3u different speed capabilities? and do most wireless cards support these newer high speeds?

Is this for playing with your wii?

well what kind of internet for you have going into your home… if its nothing super than an expensive router wouldn’t be worth it. unless you have multiple computers and tranfered between the two…

the 300mbs isn’t worth it… the speed you would get from that would be like … 36mb/s which lots of harddrives can’t write that fast… being that you want wireless i’m 95% sure the harddrives in laptops won’t write nearly that fast… sooooooo… a wireless G router would be good enough for you… maybe even a B depending on your internet at home…

G’s are like 50 bucks … so jsut get one of those…

Its all about being able to stream content within your house. HDTV with G speeds is stupid low quality.

if thats his purpose… which it doesnt sound like it is

Look at it this way, you average internet connection isn’t faster than 6Mb/s at most in the area. And unless you are transfering large quantities of files over a wireless network. A cheapo 802.11g router like what I had setup for my Wii is more than adequate. It’s not worth spending the extra as nothing besides large transfers between computers would max it out.

g router…

that shit aint balla

I have time warners Road Runner(aka powerlink), I have a Linksys wireless G router already was just wondering if an upgrade would improve anything, then what are those faster wireless routers for? businesses?

1. An excuse for technologically uninclined people to blow more money and impress their equally uninclined friends.
  2. For businesses, and locations with a lot of network traffic/bandwidth.
  3. I can’t think of another.

like Lucotus said, unless u wanna stream HD, ur wasting ur money

you would waste your money

very true, when I do use the wireless it never seems to transfer at 54mbps anyways, because of the connection coming into the house

54mbs = about 6m/s

is is megabits per second which is 8 to make a megabyte?

:tup:

errr

Thats all theoretical, your never going to ever reach anywhere near that using TCP, or probably even UDP.

well smart ass… its actually like 6.75
and if you are so smart with the internet… would know that you could have confirmed your answer with numion.com - This website is for sale! - numion Resources and Information.

Misinformation on the internet? NO WAI!

Ya Rly