WNY event at SeAD this Sunday

No, I just had a kid and can’t justify spending the better part of one of my two days off standing around for 5-7 minutes of racing. I really enjoy autocrossing, and the people, but I just don’t have the time anymore. From the looks of the participation numbers this year I don’t think I’m the only one. I’ve been pitching the heats idea for a couple years now, but it’s always run into the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. Can’t say I blame anyone there. But this year event numbers are definitely down, so maybe it’s time to break out the wrenches.

As for track days vs autocross, it’s hard to argue with the higher speeds and massive seat time advantage with a track day. The problem is track days get expensive, especially when you factor in wear and tear on brakes, tires, fluids etc. An autocross is $25 ($20 for members) and you leave with most of the tire tread you came with, and little wear on your brakes/fluids.

And Jim’s right, SeAD is a blast, when the course isn’t tight and annoying. Enough WNY members have bitched about that other region’s terrible course design that I don’t think you’ll ever see WNY put together a tight course at SeAD though. If it weren’t 4 hours round trip I’d be there this weekend.