WNY Real Estate

Sweet, I guess I’ll just keep taking mortgages each year and retire. #Keynesian

1 Like

I thought prices were going bananas in 2020 but I’m glad in retrospect now that I bought then versus waiting a year.

i’ve really noticed the jump in my searching in WNY.

i also cannot see any slowing down of money printing in any western nation in the medium-term so i guess we can expect it simply to keep on keeping on.

Ugh…
My assessment went up another 58.8k for 2022. That’s 25% in one year.
The town of Lockport is insane. As is the state.

The town assessor is a friend of a coworker, and says NY state kicks them back if they are not high enough.

NY Sucks.

1 Like

If the town is being fair about it the assessment going up shouldn’t directly affect your taxes. Amherst has been pretty good about this over the years. My house has more than doubled in value since we bought it, but my taxes haven’t gone up nearly as much. Amherst does a good job of adjusting the tax rate along with the assessments so that as long as your home only went up the average amount the end tax bill stays about the same, or at least no more than the 1-2% increase that sneaks into almost every budget. I’ve seen other towns be super shady about this though, where they’ll bump the assessments by 30% across the board and then not even touch the tax rate.

The havent been nearly the quantity and quality of listings thus far in 2022 as there were in fall 2021 when i really started looking.

1 Like

I’m going to have to dig up all my tax records and put it in a spreadsheet.

Im also going to see if i can use my gropu legal coverage to figbt the assesment.

And i figure i’ll start paying better attention to the town and school budgets

I think school taxes are the real killer.

what are good neighbourhoods to look at doubles or small apt buildings?

This house is on my new route:

Gorgeous area, literally 2 minutes from the 219.

that’s super nice!

Interesting door to the garage attic. Looks like a strut on there either to assist on opening or closing?

i’ve looked at that a couple times and shared it with the wife.

how far is Boston from DT Buffalo really?

it would need a pretty substantial update for us.

i like this one better:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7145-Lakeshore-Ter_Appleton_NY_14008_M48530-58260?ex=2941815972

but a number of the properties on the water look like they are going to have serious erosion issues, this one included, unless someone puts $150k into a proper retaining wall.

1 Like

25 min with perfect traffic I’d say

that is something right in our wheelhouse.

Kinda scary when for half a million you’re getting shitty carpet in most rooms and an outdated kitchen.

Boston to downtown isn’t bad, 219 is rarely busy. The problem is you’re in the heart of the snowbelt so some days it will be entirely impossible.

I’d never buy Lakefront on Lake Erie. Prevailing winds will blow right down the lake into your face all winter long. I’m a boat guy that loves the water and I wouldn’t even trade my house in Williamsville for Lake Erie waterfront (except that I could immediately sell it for a huge profit). Grand Island, Finger Lakes, Rushford or Silver Lake? Sign me up, but hard pass on Lake Erie.

Lewiston is beautiful but it’s 30-40 minutes to everything. A friend of mine moved there before bailing on NY and going to FL and said even though he loved Lewiston he hated how far he was from Buffalo and even the Northtowns. The cashless tolls on GI help a little there at least.

good feedback on the lakefront. is lake Ontario the same?

one of my best friends lives on Lake Ontario in Stoney Creek. I’ve seen what hard winter storms do to the property. he has waves crashing on his breakwall and sending the splashes clear over the whole house.

a 2 bed ranch on Lake Ontario up here is $2.5M or more.

only about $500k of that price is the upgrades…

mind you, you are right in the urban areas on the water here whereas in Wilson, Newfane or down near Angola you are semi-rural.

But still, that $650k USD waterfront home i posted above in Newfane with that lot would be at least 3x-5x up here… just needs $150 in concrete for a retaining wall :frowning:

Ontario won’t get the prevailing winds blowing across the lake right into your house. Some days the wind will obviously blow that direction but the majority of the time the winds in WNY are SW.

Ontario has a more recent major issue though, and that’s flooding combined with storms. Suspiciously the worst Ontario flooding has happened multiple years since 2017, the same time Plan 2014 was implemented. That’s a whole other debate, but regardless of the cause, high water in Ontario + a storm with onshore winds = a nightmare for waterfront property owners.

I love that one. And I wouldn’t worry much about erosion. Any waterfront is going to have some. That deck could be pinned to rock underneath, and be there for 100 years. What’s more important is the house is set back far enough.

I can’t imagine water on Ontario would get high enough to harm that property. And like you said, onshore winds where that house is are rare. But imagine opening the windows on a hot summer night and letting that sea breeze roll in :+1:

It’s not that the house might flood, it’s that you’re losing feet of property per year. And that’s “average”. Go ask some of those people how much they lost in 2017.