WNY Real Estate

Having been out here for several months I can tell you that the snow removal services down there are amazingly good. There are some ridiculously steep hills and they do a great job of keeping them open. They have to, because there are school buses that run all over the place. There is RARELY heavy traffic on the 219. Going from Lewiston to DT Buffalo will take you significantly longer for sure.That house on Shero is 10 minutes from KB (if you like to ski), 5 minutes from the Tops on Boston State road, etc. There’s an elementary school on Back Creek road about 3 miles away, I honestly don’t know where the middle/high school is for that area. There’s a nice brewery 10 minutes away as well, the Hamburg Brewery. You’re not really out in the “boonies” but the wildlife is everywhere. There’s Trump flags everywhere too.

Calling Hamburg Brewery “a nice brewery” is really underselling it. That place is more like a country club.

Also calling that small little grocery store a “Tops” is funny. My in laws live off of Boston State Rd, their house is 650+, it’s a beautiful area and commute isn’t bad at all. I would stay away from Lewiston, it’s nice but it really is far from civilization and that gets old quick (worked out in that area from Tonawanda for a while).

:wave: from Boston.
My fiancé and I looked at that house on Shero. Only 5 minutes from our current home. In the end we passed because of the aforementioned upgrades needed. Especially an attached garage addition that would have to happen sooner than later.

Love this town though.

1 Like

Gotta remember he’s technically still Canadian, so access to the border/ maple syrup / “Touqes” are important factors.

yeah Lewiston is right at Queenston/Lewiston bridge and that is my main crossing. Hence why Lewiston makes some sense.

@Onyx_Z32 erosision is a serious issue. My buddy in Stoney Creek’s neighbour had his rear yard erode right up to his rear deck, it would have swallowed the whole house had he not put $150k into a concrete retaining wall. It happens fast. In that property i posted up north of Newfane you can see where the land is already primed to erode significantly in one good storm.

This one, and it’s neighbours, have a serious rock wall which is why it is more $$$ despite being less than half the house as the other one:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2765-W-Lake-Rd_Wilson_NY_14172_M38598-72254

pic:
https://ap.rdcpix.com/1904f92a72e72a8bcd97f4674a586f9al-m2813811941od-w1024_h768_x2.webp

Here is another interesting one. 2.8 acres on the water but the soft land is like 30 ft from the house… that house will be 100% gone in 10 years without a wall to re-enforce the property

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/615-Lake-Rd_Youngstown_NY_14174_M33924-82803

pic:
https://ap.rdcpix.com/d65d5318e454102a5ac1ffb8f81c7131l-m1552574539od-w1024_h768_x2.webp

@JayS why do you say Grand Island is better? My wife and have a phobia of being on water that goes over the falls down-stream. you couldnt swim in it.

We’ve noticed some interesting properties on GI and the pricing is more reasonable there. here’s one.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2025-W-River-Rd_Grand-Island_NY_14072_M45824-87890

We do like the Amherst/Williamsville area too but i’ve noticed that the pricing there is 10-20% higher than elsewhere in WNY.

my situation is fairly complicated because my income is still Canadian so it is almost impossible to get a decent mortgage down there. This is why i lean to the $500k range. If we sold our primary residence we could do anything we wanted to down there but I want to try and keep it if possible.

One thought i had was buying a series of doubles first then levering them up to get a nice family home while keeping our primary up here. Showing US income will really make things easier though it will take an extra year or more

I’d love to be on the water on Grand Island. The river doesn’t really flood since the power authority will take every extra gallon they can get their hands on. It varies a little with a really strong SW wind, but nothing crazy. It’s not wide enough to get the erosion causing messes like the lakes have and what it does get can be mitigated by a lightweight breakwall that 99% already have. The areas where I’d want to be (east river where the houses on the river side of the road, or west river where the houses are on the river side of the road) don’t have that much current because they’re in bays. I’d also consider Cayuga Island as long as it was one on the river side, not the canal side. That they market those Tonawanda ditch facing properties as “waterfront” is laughable. I don’t think Niagara Falls schools are that good though but I wouldn’t do this until my daughter graduated since she’s already a freshman in high school and we love Williamsville South High.

Being able to walk out my patio door after dinner on a weeknight and take the boat out for a spin and for a little water skiing with just the push of a button on my lift is definitely a dream of mine and it’s hard to beat the river on a weeknight for good boating. The removal of the toll booths has made GI a lot more attractive to me now too.

Looking on Zillow there’s only one waterfront place for sale on GI right now, and it’s shitty waterfront on the west river where you have west river rd and west river parkway (now a bike path) between you and the water.

this one is pretty sick. i think it was relisted recently as well.

1 Like

I think that might be an upgrade

you mean it would be an upgrade for that closet to my have stuff in it right? because i already converted a full bedroom into a closet :slight_smile:

If not for the wonky driveway situation this would be perfect.

i assumed it was a carriage house but you think its a separate residence?

This is sort of real estate related, but I bought my camper back in 2019. We paid 13k for it. Given the demand in campers/inventory shortage, the value has soared to 24k book value as of late.

I took a look at my insurance policy and we had it written @ 13k since that’s what we paid. If it went up in flames, there’s no way I could replace it for what they would pay me. I moved the value up to $20k for $50 per year, it was really a no-brainer.

Whether it’s a house, boat, RV, etc…make sure you’re insured to what you would expect to get in this market. Inflation has caused lumber, materials and really just about everything to skyrocket in price. I couldn’t imagine having to rebuild a home in the market with the cost of materials!

1 Like

Yea, the listing shows shared driveway. Plus if it was a carriage house and was included that place would be selling for closer to $1M. At $599k I nearly sent it to my wife.

My buddy is looking to buy this home with another friend of his. I believe he went to see it this past sunday. Awesome house for sure

You guys have much different taste than me lol. Are ANY of you still into cars? There’s no garage at that big house, plus it’s in the city with ZERO snow removal, has a sweet ghetto apartment right outside the windows, and a shared driveway with who knows what living in the back. The house itself is stunning, but comes with a lot of faults. Park that house out on 3+ acres with a pole barn and we’re talking!

6 Likes

Joelster FTW. No way I’d EVER consider that house. Plus Kleinhans has terrible parking that always overflows into the surrounding streets, meaning every time they have a show your neighborhood becomes a shitshow.

if it had that carriage house with it i think it’s pretty neat. without it, no thanks.

didnt we have the chat in this thread or elsewhere that an acreage was too much work? i’d love it if i didnt have to spend forever tending to the property

1 Like

:flushed:

The national average home price in Canada climbed to 816,720 Canadian dollars in February, hitting a record high, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association, and a cost 50% higher than that of the median US home price when converted to US dollars.

No such thing as too much acreage! When people own 50 acres, it’s not like it’s a golf course fairway, most of it is woods. If you own that much land then you get yourself a sweet John Deere! Then you buy the widest mowing blade attachment that allows you to mow in a reasonable time. Then you teach your kids how to do it, problem solved.

2 Likes